Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Finding isn’t hard to revise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the typo

I have my a level exams coming up and I’ve been doing some papers and revising a lot for them. But I just keep getting mediocre grades in chemistry which is the paper I’m sitting, like b and and Cs. I’m getting a bit upset because I am trying but I feel like some of these questions don’t really have anything to do with knowledge. All I need is a B to get into the course I want and I feel intensely pressured because I took a gap year just so I can get into the university and course I like. I’m afraid I wasted my time and energy and money if I don’t do well this year. How to revise to secure a A or above? Right now I read over my notes from textbook and CHEMREVISE and do practise papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1629w)
    I have my a level exams coming up and I’ve been doing some papers and revising a lot for them. But I just keep getting mediocre grades in chemistry which is the paper I’m sitting, like b and and Cs. I’m getting a bit upset because I am trying but I feel like some of these questioned don’t really have nothing to do with knowledge. All I need is a b to get into the course I want and I feel intensely pressured because I took a gap year just so I can get into the university and course I like. I’m afraid I wasted my time and energy and money if I don’t do well this year. how to revise to get a A or above? Right now I read over my notes from textbook and CHEM revise and do practise papers
    Reading over notes is never the best idea. You need to actively write out the notes over and over. Use flash cards or get someone to ask you questions. Just reading is very passive and doesn’t require your brain to do very much work and so it is far harder to remember things this way. Practise papers are a really good thing to be doing though so keep this up. Bottom line is, you only need a B. Sometimes no matter how hard you try you just won’t be able to get those top grades and that’s okay. Don’t stress yourself out over anything else than getting into the course you want at this point!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthflame57)
    Reading over notes is never the best idea. You need to actively write out the notes over and over. Use flash cards or get someone to ask you questions. Just reading is very passive and doesn’t require your brain to do very much work and so it is far harder to remember things this way. Practise papers are a really good thing to be doing though so keep this up. Bottom line is, you only need a B. Sometimes no matter how hard you try you just won’t be able to get those top grades and that’s okay. Don’t stress yourself out over anything else than getting into the course you want at this point!
    Thank you, I will try this.
    It is very annoying, I seem to forget what i learnt in a week if i don't review it within two days.
    I only need a B but i just keep panicking because I spent a whole year being miserable to re-do it. AND it is just one a level i am re-doing so if i don't get that B. I honestly kind of fear how i Will react. I don't think i'll forgive myself and i cannot afford to take another year out

Unfortunately. I don't learn much from exam papers. How do I maximise my learning from them? I can't really find any trends in questions like i could in GCSE. These questions appear mostly to be different. Like do I just memorise things i got wrong or learn any methods to a question I got wrong. Thinking about it...I think it's because once i do a paper and get my marks i just don't really look over it again.

You have actually given me a good idea. I think after every week, I will write what id working and what isn't working and why and how ill change it.
    Thank you again.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.