Can I still go into medicine if I stutter? Watch

pinkbacon1437
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
It’s not like a massive stutter. Some days are better than others but it’s mainly starting off sentences, which is why I am worried, because if a patient is in like cardiac arrest or something really bad and I need to give instructions, what if I can’t say it?
Mostly I am fine, and I guess I need to slow down a bit, but could I still get into medicine if I have a stutter?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3836852
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi there,

Of course you can still get into medicine if you stutter. However maybe you should look into getting some speech therapy if you believe you're stutter is really bad (This is free on NHS). If you're stutter is quite severe, then you may not be able to be something like a surgeon; as they need to speak quickly, and give clear instructions. However you can still be something more general, like a GP.

But, like you said, it's not a massive stutter, so you should be ok. Just calm down, and think before you start speaking.

pinkbacon1437
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Luna Quibbler)
Hi there,

Of course you can still get into medicine if you stutter. However maybe you should look into getting some speech therapy if you believe you're stutter is really bad (This is free on NHS). If you're stutter is quite severe, then you may not be able to be something like a surgeon; as they need to speak quickly, and give clear instructions. However you can still be something more general, like a GP.

But, like you said, it's not a massive stutter, so you should be ok. Just calm down, and think before you start speaking.

Thanks. I’m just wondering if therapy is worth the time though...? I mean obviously if it help then awesome but as it’s a neurological problem then I don’t know....
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
There literally isn’t anything in medicine that is so time critical that it could not wait the couple of seconds it would take for you to start your sentence.

It shouldn’t hold you back, even in a cardiac arrest.
username3836852
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by rainbowcat1437)
Thanks. I’m just wondering if therapy is worth the time though...? I mean obviously if it help then awesome but as it’s a neurological problem then I don’t know....
Personally, I think it isn't a waste of time, and therapy is really useful if you attend all the sessions. A proffessional will help you slowly to stop stuttering, and improve your overall speech and confidence.

Have you seen the movie called 'The Kings Speech'? It is about a King who had a stutter, but with good speech therapy from a great therapist, he improved a lot !

I think you should go for it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed