Turn on thread page Beta

13in Macbook Pro or 15in for Law - Law tech watch

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a Macbook Pro 13in 2015. An upgrade is in order!

Would it be best to have the 15in over the 13in?

I will be studying Law therefore will need to be staring at a lot of text and cross referencing.

This is where I believe the 15in will be superior, the ability to have two documents open and navigate between them.

My previous MacBook Pro took a beating. Everyday being thrown around. Something I dont believe the 15in will be better at.

I am waiting for apple to put the new gen Intel into the systems before deciding regardless.

Current items:
    Google drive/Dropbox
    G-technology External Hard Drive 1TB - Back up
    Samsung Laser printer - Recommended to me by a Lawyer
    Dell 27in second display - Two is better than one.
    Macbook Pro
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by caveatcashmere)

I will be studying Law therefore will need to be staring at a lot of text and cross referencing.

This is where I believe the 15in will be superior, the ability to have two documents open and navigate between them.

My previous MacBook Pro took a beating. Everyday being thrown around. Something I dont believe the 15in will be better at.

I am waiting for apple to put the new gen Intel into the systems before deciding regardless.

Current items:
    Google drive/Dropbox
    Macbook Pro
    Not sure why you would need an upgrade?
    Just go to John Lewis or the Apple shop and see which one you prefer weight and screen size. I prefer bigger screen, but you have your monitor at home for that.

I would think Law is one of the least demanding degree courses for computer equipment.

ReputationRep:
    Bad idea! Apple have increased the price of the 15inch, its now nearly £2,500. If you bought it two years ago you could've gotten a brand new one for £1,000 less.

The only difference is the bigger screen and the slightly faster processor. You probably won't be running any intensive simulations as Law student...

Intel are slacking in their processor development because AMD is not innovating much these days. Wait a few years if you want to upgrade, you'll get a better deal.

BTW OP: I'm a CS student using a £200 11 inch laptop which runs fine for training artificial neural networks (something that uses lots of processor power!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not sure why you would need an upgrade?
    Just go to John Lewis or the Apple shop and see which one you prefer weight and screen size. I prefer bigger screen, but you have your monitor at home for that.

I would think Law is one of the least demanding degree courses for computer equipment.
    My old one has lost a lot of performance, when I was a paralegal it was choking. You would be surprised with the amount of work you put it through.

I wont be running Cinema 4D but the work load can bottle neck it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Bad idea! Apple have increased the price of the 15inch, its now nearly £2,500. If you bought it two years ago you could've gotten a brand new one for £1,000 less.

The only difference is the bigger screen and the slightly faster processor. You probably won't be running any intensive simulations as Law student...

Intel are slacking in their processor development because AMD is not innovating much these days. Wait a few years if you want to upgrade, you'll get a better deal.

BTW OP: I'm a CS student using a £200 11 inch laptop which runs fine for training artificial neural networks (something that uses lots of processor power!)
    They implemented that gimmicky touch bar at the top... That influenced the price increase. I own a small video production company, so I am use to powerful rendering computers running i9, m.2 etc so going back to a 2015 i5 choking laptop is difficult.

I am hoping they switch to coffee lake boosting the core count, will help with the amount of applications I run at the same time whilst studying Law
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    My old one has lost a lot of performance, when I was a paralegal it was choking. You would be surprised with the amount of work you put it through.

I wont be running Cinema 4D but the work load can bottle neck it.
    Have you reset it and put an ssd in it? Not sure whether macs let you even touch the hdd these days.

ReputationRep:
    Have you reset it and put an ssd in it? Not sure whether macs let you even touch the hdd these days.
    Yeah reset it a few times. We're talking about apple, they solder everything in
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You can get external ssds. Doubt id buy a mac though.
    Cant imagine any more less demanding subjects than Law for a computer.

ReputationRep:
    They implemented that gimmicky touch bar at the top... That influenced the price increase. I own a small video production company, so I am use to powerful rendering computers running i9, m.2 etc so going back to a 2015 i5 choking laptop is difficult.

I am hoping they switch to coffee lake boosting the core count, will help with the amount of applications I run at the same time whilst studying Law
    Do your video production work on your PC and your university work on the macbook. You could buy a used octa-core i7 to build your own video editing rig.

ReputationRep:

The touch bar is honestly really good, I've got the new 13" with 500gb SSD...Space grey makes it worth it, trust me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cant imagine any more less demanding subjects than Law for a computer.
    This really. There's no reason to spend lots of money on a laptop just for law. It's not an intensive subject.

If you care about the screen size, just get an external monitor or a desktop. Good luck waiting for Apple to put Gen 8 processors in anything, most other companies have refreshed their lineups but not Apple. Spending out on a 15 inch Macbook just for the sake of a bigger screen like a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    The SSDs in the retina MBPs was actually replaceable in the 2015 model (no idea if they still are, I only know that because I used to have a 2015 model too), they even used a standard m.2 connector. Of course Apple couldn't help themselves and used a proprietary form factor that almost nobody builds m.2 drives in, but it was technically user replaceable. And of course given that your MBP already has an SSD this is all a bit of a moot point, I'm just a pedantic git :ahee:

But yeah, you sound like you know your way around a computer so you don't need me to tell you that the 15" MBPs are horrendous value for money, even by Apple standards. Unless you also plan on using it heavily as a mobile editing station for your business it seems very difficult to justify such an enormous expense for the sake of grabbing some extra screen real estate for an exceptionally non-demanding course like law.

ReputationRep:

Intel aren't exactly slacking due to the fact they've upped the core count in all their series of processors. Of course, this is due to the fact AMD were finally able to release a very competitive processor but it's safe to say the competition is back for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
    Intel aren't exactly slacking due to the fact they've upped the core count in all their series of processors. Of course, this is due to the fact AMD were finally able to release a very competitive processor but it's safe to say the competition is back for a bit.
    Its about time! Its been a good 7 years since any good changes. What about laptop processors?

ReputationRep:

Current items:
    Google drive/Dropbox
    Macbook Pro
    A Lawyer recommended you a Samsung Laser printer😂😂 Why do you need that if you're going to study Law? Why are spending thousands on technology you don't need? I could do a Law course with a chromebook😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This really. There's no reason to spend lots of money on a laptop just for law. It's not an intensive subject.

If you care about the screen size, just get an external monitor or a desktop. Good luck waiting for Apple to put Gen 8 processors in anything, most other companies have refreshed their lineups but not Apple. Spending out on a 15 inch Macbook just for the sake of a bigger screen like a waste of money.
    Hahahaha exactly could do a Law course with a chromebook
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Hahahaha exactly could do a Law course with a chromebook
    You could. It certainly wouldn't be an enjoyable experience but it's totally possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    You could. It certainly wouldn't be an enjoyable experience but it's totally possible.
    Don't think it'd be too bad, a Laser printer too?😂 Why spend thousands on things you literally dont need haha

ReputationRep:
    Its about time! Its been a good 7 years since any good changes. What about laptop processors?
    They've released some low power Laptop ones which rival 8th gen but aren't quite as powerful. However, integrated graphics more than make up for it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Don't think it'd be too bad, a Laser printer too?😂 Why spend thousands on things you literally dont need haha
    Would honestly depend on how efficient you are with a Chromebook but there are severe limits to what you can do when your 2 or 4GB of RAM limits how many tabs you can actually have open. It's fine for normal work but considering I often have a tab for referencing, a tab with the assignment brief and a tab with the work on, before I've even started opening material, a Chromebook does push it a bit. You can get around screen issues with clever use of keyboard shortcuts but at some point, the hardware (or lack of) will simply hold you back. And if you're willing to buy a high end Chromebook, you might as well buy a normal laptop and actually have access to software. Chromebooks are viable to an extent but not ideal and at some point your hardware isn't capable. The inherently inferior hardware in Chromebooks means you reach that ceiling much sooner

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 18, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.