Purposely failing my third and final year Watch

socialscience92
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I know everyone must think I am ridiculous, but honestly I am 99% sure that I want to go ahead with this. My first two years at university was great, I enjoyed it, it was hard work but it was great. The course was not what I expected but I liked the students and I made good friends there. I moved to another university because it was too far to travel, and honestly I regret it so, so badly. I feel like everyone has high expectations of me to complete my degree and I agree, because I had high expectations of myself. But I am simply not capable of completing a degree, I just cannot process any complex information that it has to offer me, and the subject and modules are extremely dire. My thesis lacks serious critical analysis and everything else that I am just not good enough at trying to tackle it and I know that I am heading for a 2:2, possibly a third class. My grades are not good as it is, despite trying so hard to produce good assignments, but it just isn't happening. The job that I would like to do does not even require a degree, I need an Ofqual regulated qualification to be able to do it, so I honestly wish I just went ahead and did that! I feel like banging my head against a brick wall. I feel like I am letting my partner down, because I know my partner is counting on me to get a degree so we can move away and so that I can get a 'better' job. Has anyone here ever failed uni and do you regret it? I hope there's someone here on the same boat as I am because I feel so alone in this right now, and the last thing I want is people to be disappointed in me and treat me like a failure. I have tried my best, but I don't want to continue anymore.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
my advice, take a year or two out.

In your "gap year" go over the course and content in your own time.

Maybe use text books from other universities that better explain concepts .
socialscience92
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by hannah00)
my advice, take a year or two out.

In your "gap year" go over the course and content in your own time.

Maybe use text books from other universities that better explain concepts .
I have already had a gap year, I forgot to mention. I had one to think it through, thought ah well it is a good idea but obviously it was not.
diggy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Please talk to your personal tutor about this, they can give you extensions and what not to make your life easier. I suffered depression all through my course and finally graduated with a 2:2, I felt disappointed because if I had put in the work/asked for help with my depression I could have got a 2:1.

Instead, like you I bombarded myself with thoughts of failing my course, getting a third and being a depressed person for the rest of my life, whereas if I had asked for help sooner I could have done better.

Note: A 2:2 doesn't harm job prospects that much, only the big companies demand 2:1s, the rest are lenient, good luck
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by socialscience92)
I have already had a gap year, I forgot to mention. I had one to think it through, thought ah well it is a good idea but obviously it was not.
have another one, you can pause your degree for 1 year.

We all sometimes feel underwhelmed, taking a year out to study at your own pace with out constant class tests and coursework can help
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?