Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel anxious 99.999% of the time, and it's getting me down. Lying in bed at night it keeps me awake; getting up in the morning I feel physically sick. I constantly have this 'feeling', like butterflies in my stomach - but like 10000 times worse. My heart rate is almost constantly elevated, and my breathing gets fast quite a lot. I'm frequently nauseous, and I'm always tired with headaches and no concentration. I just want to do 'normal' things like any other 16 year old, but I just can't. Has anyone successfully reduced (or even got rid of) their anxiety? How can I help myself? I'd appreciate any replies; it's really starting to impact my life massively.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like pretty severe anxiety. Is there anything you can think of that might be the trigger? I think with things being this severe the best thing to do would be to go to your GP - you're 16 so things will be kept confidential (unless you or others are at risk of harm). Talk therapies can be really helpful for anxiety but they do often require a lot of hard work to implement the strategies you learn.

I used to have pretty bad anxiety but I take medication for it and see a psychologist once a week. Your school might have a counselor you can talk to or ask your GP to refer you to someone. I would think that a GP would be reluctant to prescribe you meds given your age but then again what you've described sounds really horrific to live like that so maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    This sounds like pretty severe anxiety. Is there anything you can think of that might be the trigger? I think with things being this severe the best thing to do would be to go to your GP - you're 16 so things will be kept confidential (unless you or others are at risk of harm). Talk therapies can be really helpful for anxiety but they do often require a lot of hard work to implement the strategies you learn.

I used to have pretty bad anxiety but I take medication for it and see a psychologist once a week. Your school might have a counselor you can talk to or ask your GP to refer you to someone. I would think that a GP would be reluctant to prescribe you meds given your age but then again what you've described sounds really horrific to live like that so maybe.
    Hey, thanks for replying.

About triggers: can anxiety around food start it off? Sounds stupid, but I've always struggled with disordered eating. I was okay for a bit and then it kicked off again, and I've seemed to become more anxious about more things as days go on. It was originally just with food, but now it's about every little thing that happens.

I'll try to get a GP appointment sometime. There's a counsellor at school I could go to as well - I just kinda feel like I'll be wasting their time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irrelevant kid)
    I feel anxious 99.999% of the time, and it's getting me down. Lying in bed at night it keeps me awake; getting up in the morning I feel physically sick. I constantly have this 'feeling', like butterflies in my stomach - but like 10000 times worse. My heart rate is almost constantly elevated, and my breathing gets fast quite a lot. I'm frequently nauseous, and I'm always tired with headaches and no concentration. I just want to do 'normal' things like any other 16 year old, but I just can't. Has anyone successfully reduced (or even got rid of) their anxiety? How can I help myself? I'd appreciate any replies; it's really starting to impact my life massively.
    I feel your pain, anxiety is horrible. I myself have anxiety issues, definitely nowhere near as severe as yours, but I do get excessive, increased heart rate whenever I'm in exposed to public speaking, even when it's only 3 or 4 people that I am talking to.
    I think you should find something that calms you down, maybe your favorite meal, activity or film. Whenever you feel anxious go do this activity, I also found exercising or performing some type of sport can be extremely helpful. Or join societies or groups of people doing activities that you really enjoy doing. Do not panic and stress over it, everything gets worse from there. I think (from my experience) its difficult to fully get rid of it, but reducing it is a process, so keep at it and try to not let it hinder your success.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for replying.

About triggers: can anxiety around food start it off? Sounds stupid, but I've always struggled with disordered eating. I was okay for a bit and then it kicked off again, and I've seemed to become more anxious about more things as days go on. It was originally just with food, but now it's about every little thing that happens.

I'll try to get a GP appointment sometime. There's a counsellor at school I could go to as well - I just kinda feel like I'll be wasting their time.
    Also judging from your name, "irrelevant kid" doesn't seem to be the healthiest of mindsets. Life is about crafting yourself, others may find you irrelevant, but you must never find yourself irrelevant. Think about what your aspirations are in life, then pursue them and discipline yourself into thinking in a more rational manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TastyChicken)
    I feel your pain, anxiety is horrible. I myself have anxiety issues, definitely nowhere near as severe as yours, but I do get excessive, increased heart rate whenever I'm in exposed to public speaking, even when it's only 3 or 4 people that I am talking to.
    I think you should find something that calms you down, maybe your favorite meal, activity or film. Whenever you feel anxious go do this activity, I also found exercising or performing some type of sport can be extremely helpful. Or join societies or groups of people doing activities that you really enjoy doing. Do not panic and stress over it, everything gets worse from there. I think (from my experience) its difficult to fully get rid of it, but reducing it is a process, so keep at it and try to not let it hinder your success.
    Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

That's a good idea. I like sports too, and reading, maths, science, playing guitar etc. Yeah I need to work on not panicking - usually as soon as I feel a bit anxious I let it ovewhelm me, which doesn't help.

(Original post by TastyChicken)
    Also judging from your name, "irrelevant kid" doesn't seem to be the healthiest of mindsets. Life is about crafting yourself, others may find you irrelevant, but you must never find yourself irrelevant. Think about what your aspirations are in life, then pursue them and discipline yourself into thinking in a more rational manner.
    Yeah, I know, you're right - not the best way to feel about myself. I'll try to work on it.
    I'll definitely take your advice.
    Thank you for replying, it means a lot

I experience the same thing and it has also greatly impacted me especially in terms of sleep as i get pretty severe night terrors and then panic attacks relating to these. My parents don't understand so i haven't seen a doctor about it but i've had enough so i think i might just go myself as i am 17 so can do so. Something i find kind of helps when i'm having an anxiety attack is having someone i trust like a friend just talk to me to try and take my mind off it. At night time i listen to music which i find a good distraction but idk if it would work for everyone.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.