Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my history exam I got a B and I don't know what to do to improve my grade I am not sure what history is about: content or how you write. I know most the content and I am writing better know but my teacher said that I write like it is an english essay. I am really confused how do I get A* in two months.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I would say that just dont be disappointed if you dont get the A*, it is really difficult to get in history. However go for it if you want it and history imho is how you interpret the given information. Don't just regurgitate facts put your own spin and angle on it
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    Content is very much a necessity is History. It also counts how you write it. If you could give an example of a question that you're not scoring very high on, I'll try to explain the structure to write in. If you could also tell me how many marks if possible, that would also help.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 515)
    Content is very much a necessity is History. It also counts how you write it. If you could give an example of a question that you're not scoring very high on, I'll try to explain the structure to write in. If you could also tell me how many marks if possible, that would also help.
    Thanks
    Omg you are amazing.
    The questionis :Is the munich putch a complete failure?
    If you want I can tell you what I wrote so can specifically help me.

ReputationRep:
    That would also help. Also, do you know how many marks it's worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 515)
    That would also help. Also, do you know how many marks it's worth?
    It is 20 marks sorry for the late reply
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by aleena1234)
    For my history exam I got a B and I don't know what to do to improve my grade I am not sure what history is about: content or how you write. I know most the content and I am writing better know but my teacher said that I write like it is an english essay. I am really confused how do I get A* in two months.
    Are you doing past papers and mark schemes?

GCSE tends to be aimed more at more at memory and content, but you need t be selective. Its possible to remember and just dump down information without understanding it.

Higher grades and A level tend to be more about selective use of information, analysis of situations and evaluations.

The most valuable bit of History study you can learn is to understand and answer the question asked.

ReputationRep:
    So this is a how "far do you agree" question with 4 SPaG marks

You need to begin an introduction setting a criteria you are going to use to decide if it was a complete failure. What makes it a complete failure? Did anything good come out of it? The criteria could be how successful was it making the Nazi party known. Make sure to include your initial opinion. Example of an intro: To assess how failure the Munich Putsch was, in need to use the criteria of the impact it had on Hitler coming to power and on the public. I believe that it was rather unsuccessful and intend to justify my opinion.

Then you write 3 points (one HAS to be a point that isn't given to you if you are to get a decent amount of marks). Make the point and lots of information about it. Beware of the time though. You don't want to be spending too long on one paragraph. At the end of each paragraph, make sure you link it back to the question (This aspect was rather successful/ unsuccessful).

Finally, write a conclusion, weighing up both all of the points and deciding how far you agree/ disagree with the statement. If something good came out of it, but couldn't think of how to put it in your three points, you might want to include it here. Example of a conclusion: In my opinion, the Munich Putsch was fairly unsuccessful, but not completely unsuccessful. Although it was a failure and led to the ban of the Nazi party and the arrest of Hitler, it also brought the public's attention to the party. This allowed Hitler to advertise his party in the court, which was read by thousands of German's in the news paper. It gave them a lot more publicity and a lot more members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 515)
    So this is a how "far do you agree" question with 4 SPaG marks

You need to begin an introduction setting a criteria you are going to use to decide if it was a complete failure. What makes it a complete failure? Did anything good come out of it? The criteria could be how successful was it making the Nazi party known. Make sure to include your initial opinion. Example of an intro: To assess how failure the Munich Putsch was, in need to use the criteria of the impact it had on Hitler coming to power and on the public. I believe that it was rather unsuccessful and intend to justify my opinion.

Then you write 3 points (one HAS to be a point that isn't given to you if you are to get a decent amount of marks). Make the point and lots of information about it. Beware of the time though. You don't want to be spending too long on one paragraph. At the end of each paragraph, make sure you link it back to the question (This aspect was rather successful/ unsuccessful).

Finally, write a conclusion, weighing up both all of the points and deciding how far you agree/ disagree with the statement. If something good came out of it, but couldn't think of how to put it in your three points, you might want to include it here. Example of a conclusion: In my opinion, the Munich Putsch was fairly unsuccessful, but not completely unsuccessful. Although it was a failure and led to the ban of the Nazi party and the arrest of Hitler, it also brought the public's attention to the party. This allowed Hitler to advertise his party in the court, which was read by thousands of German's in the news paper. It gave them a lot more publicity and a lot more members.
    Thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.