What's the difference between a phosphate head and phosphate group? Watch

Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello, what is the difference? A recent markscheme said do not accept a phosphlipid contains a phosphate group? Many thanks
jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Because a phospholipid is made up of a 'head' and a 'tail'- it's this arrangement that makes up the bilayer. Technically the phospholipid does have a phosphate group present (in replacement of one fatty acid molecule of a triglyceride), but when referring to the phospholipid bilayer (presuming this is what the question was on), refer to it as a hydrophilic head and hydrophobic tail
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by jazz_xox_)
Because a phospholipid is made up of a 'head' and a 'tail'- it's this arrangement that makes up the bilayer. Technically the phospholipid does have a phosphate group present (in replacement of one fatty acid molecule of a triglyceride), but when referring to the phospholipid bilayer (presuming this is what the question was on), refer to it as a hydrophilic head and hydrophobic tail
thanks, but when do you refer to it as a group, or a head, or as just a phosphate, outside of the context of the question?
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Hello, what is the difference? A recent markscheme said do not accept a phosphlipid contains a phosphate group? Many thanks
Fake news - it does.

There is no difference - in WJEC, we referred to it as either. They probably want you to say head to drive home its position on a phospholipid.

If you said group, it could imply that you think it might be on the tail etc
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
Fake news - it does.

There is no difference - in WJEC, we referred to it as either. They probably want you to say head to drive home its position on a phospholipid.

If you said group, it could imply that you think it might be on the tail etc
bossman
jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
thanks, but when do you refer to it as a group, or a head, or as just a phosphate, outside of the context of the question?
Well a phospholipid contains 2 fatty acid tails and a phosphate group, so you are right to call it this- I've never seen it rejected on any of the questions I've done

If you are referring to cell membrane/bilayer I'd call it a head, and if you are talking about the actual composition of the phospholipid, call it a phosphate group. I wouldn't worry about this too much though.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (399)
91.72%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (36)
8.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise