The Student Room Group

Maths and Uni without FM

I’m currently in my first year of study Maths, Physics and Economics A levels. I really want to do Maths at a good uni but am not studying Further Maths. Is it worth doing it as an AS next year? Is there any good maths courses I can do without it?
Reply 1
Original post by Ikesterton2001
I’m currently in my first year of study Maths, Physics and Economics A levels. I really want to do Maths at a good uni but am not studying Further Maths. Is it worth doing it as an AS next year? Is there any good maths courses I can do without it?

Define Good. Once you do that, literally go on to the uni's website and see what their requirements / recommendations are.
Reply 2
There are roughly 10/12 universities that require Further Maths so you're looking at about 50 universities to choose from including Southampton, Loughborough and Birmingham. There are plenty of good universities that do not require Further Maths. The only benefit to doing AS in Further Maths is if you applied to Leeds (reduced entry requirements) or if you wanted to be ahead of your fellow degree students. A lot of what you will be taught in the first semester would have been covered in Further Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest