Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Draw the structure of the alkene that would form 1,2-dibromo-3-methylbutane when reacted with bromine.

This is from an exam paper, but I didn't really understand it.

I came to the conclusions that it's not made by electrophillic addition, because the original molecule has no C=C bond
    Not elimination as no OH- to accept electrons

Possible nucleophilic substitution, but then the final product does not contain bromine so ruled this out too.

Please can anyone help explain this reaction and the formation of the product to me!
    The final product is 3-methylbut-1-ene

ReputationRep:
    It is electrophillic addition. The original molecule is an alkene, which has a C=C bond......

1,2-dibromo-3-methylbutane is the final product. It is made from the alkene(which you are working out) and bromine water by electrophillic addition

ReputationRep:
    You have mixed up the product and reactant, 3-methylbut-1-ene + bromine would undergo electrophilic addition and react to form 1,2-dibromo-3methylbutane.

Marks awarded (this is typically a 5 marker with one mark awarded for naming the mechanism):

1) Curly arrow from C=C double bond to Br in Br2
    2) Curly arrow from Br-Br bond to Br (partial negative dipole)
    3) Structure of intermediate carbocation (alpha carbon being carbon number 2 in the chain as this is more stable, but the alternative would also give you the mark)
    4) Curly arrow from lone pair on the Br- ion to the alpha carbon

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow Thank you both so much, I really thought I'd lost all my AS knowledge haha!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.