Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best PC games for £5 or less? watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    With the price of new games forever on the rise, I was wondering whether there were any more budget titles anyone would like to recommend? Whether they're old, indie, or simply on sale, post or receive recommendations here!

Here's a few cheap games that I personally enjoyed:

Theme Hospital - A great strategy/management game, with a fun sense of humour. Trying to keep your hospital efficient and clean while avoiding bankruptcy and keeping staff happy can be a real challenge in the later levels!

FlatOut - Okay, so there may be better-looking racing games out there than this 12 year old one, but personally I found the crashes, damage and physics great... might be the Robot Wars fan in me. :p: Great soundtrack as well! I'd recommend it over the slightly more expensive FlatOut 2 - and steer clear of the unplayable flop that is FlatOut 3 at all costs, even at its current £1.39 sale price. :yucky:

King of Dragon Pass - A really unique roleplaying/politics game, where you play as the Chieftain of a small tribe, balancing all sorts of requests and demands, keeping various gods pleased, surviving whatever random chance events the game throws at you, and hopefully one day uniting with neighboring tribes and ruling over them as King or Queen.

The Gabriel Knight Trilogy - Three of the best point and click adventure/mystery games ever, in my opinion, but they all look very different. Sins of the Fathers has 2D pixel art, The Beast Within uses FMV (but one of the better FMV games, according to many reviews), and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned opted for early 3D... not so pretty, but the story makes up for it!

Dungeons of Dredmor - Something a little more recent... only 7 years old. :ahee: I've played through this roguelike dungeon crawler a few times, the randomly generated levels and multiple classes/abilities give plenty of replay value.

Cthulhu Saves the World - I could talk about it here, but why not read my recent 500 word review of the game instead? :blow:

ReputationRep:
    Are you taking the biscuit?

Why would I splash my cash on these old school games, when man can just download the ting for free?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Fasihs Bodyguard)
    Are you taking the biscuit?

Why would I splash my cash on these old school games, when man can just download the ting for free?

But for the completely cash-strapped, I'd also recommend the AGD remake of King's Quest 1, which you can get free from the developer's website.

I reviewed that too. :blow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    With the price of new games forever on the rise, I was wondering whether there were any more budget titles anyone would like to recommend? Whether they're old, indie, or simply on sale, post or receive recommendations here!

Theme Hospital - A great strategy/management game, with a fun sense of humour. Trying to keep your hospital efficient and clean while avoiding bankruptcy and keeping staff happy can be a real challenge in the later levels!

FlatOut - Okay, so there may be better-looking racing games out there than this 12 year old one, but personally I found the crashes, damage and physics great... might be the Robot Wars fan in me. :p: Great soundtrack as well! I'd recommend it over the slightly more expensive FlatOut 2 - and steer clear of the unplayable flop that is FlatOut 3 at all costs, even at its current £1.39 sale price. :yucky:

King of Dragon Pass - A really unique roleplaying/politics game, where you play as the Chieftain of a small tribe, balancing all sorts of requests and demands, keeping various gods pleased, surviving whatever random chance events the game throws at you, and hopefully one day uniting with neighboring tribes and ruling over them as King or Queen.

The Gabriel Knight Trilogy - Three of the best point and click adventure/mystery games ever, in my opinion, but they all look very different. Sins of the Fathers has 2D pixel art, The Beast Within uses FMV (but one of the better FMV games, according to many reviews), and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned opted for early 3D... not so pretty, but the story makes up for it!

Dungeons of Dredmor - Something a little more recent... only 7 years old. :ahee: I've played through this roguelike dungeon crawler a few times, the randomly generated levels and multiple classes/abilities give plenty of replay value.

Cthulhu Saves the World - I could talk about it here, but why not read my recent 500 word review of the game instead? :blow:
    have you not heard of torrent? all games there are under a fiver.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nonotyoutoo)
    have you not heard of torrent? all games there are under a fiver.
    Have you not heard of TSR's rules and guidelines? Specifically the parts relating to illegal activity?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq...lines_detailed

ReputationRep:
    Humble Bundles ftw
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I love Theme Hospital. Such a good game!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Do you use a platform like steam, origin or anything, or download online?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have you not heard of TSR's rules and guidelines? Specifically the parts relating to illegal activity?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq...lines_detailed
    Your asking a question that's literally asking for it. It's because your question is so poor
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349)
    Do you use a platform like steam, origin or anything, or download online?
    GOG mostly, with a few Steam and Origin games here and there.

(Original post by nonotyoutoo)
    Your asking a question that's literally asking for it. It's because your question is so poor
    I'm asking people to recommend budget PC games. I gave some examples of ones that I'm aware of and would recommend, proving that they do exist at these prices. I fail to see what the problem with this is?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm asking people to recommend budget PC games. I gave some examples of ones that I'm aware of and would recommend, proving that they do exist at these prices. I fail to see what the problem with this is?
    You play Town of Salem, or not?
    I think that's free to play on pc
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ThatsAGoodOne349)
    You play Town of Salem, or not?
    I think that's free to play on pc
    I've heard of it but never played it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's a free option if you want to
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Here's the Steam options for town of salem:

Name:  Screenshot_20180315-121205-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  84.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    GOG mostly, with a few Steam and Origin games here and there.

Don't worry my lady I will protect thee from thee trolls!:zorro:

ReputationRep:
    Dead space 2 is £2.49 on steam for the next 5 hours and 38 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    https://vim-adventures.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Dead space 2 is £2.49 on steam for the next 5 hours and 38 minutes.
    That is a pretty good deal.

ReputationRep:
    Every game ends up £5 or less so I guess the answer is every game.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 18, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.