Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    And yet they haven't deleted the pages of Trump or Farage yet.

Nor of the European far-right - people who are even more extreme than the BNP remain up, presumably because they are waiting for it to be a good PR move before actually taking action against hate.
    Shall we silence everyone who is slightly right wing? Sounds facist.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    This group of people, repugnant and wrong as their views maybe, have the right to express their opinions freely on any and all platforms. Denying them this right is abuse.
    They broke the rules of those websites countless times. The only thing that kept them up is that theyre so high profile.

This is long overdue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    There kind of is. Facebook is being seen to be doing something because they don't want to get the government to get all heavy handed and start regulating social platforms. But there is no right to free speech in the UK and incitement of hatred or violence carries a jail sentence, as Britain First's leader and deputy recently discovered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43320121
    My reference was more about the internet. There will be any number of websites where these extremist views will be permitted to find a home, trouble is they are likely only to be visited by a small number of the already 'converted'.

ReputationRep:
    This group of people, repugnant and wrong as their views maybe, have the right to express their opinions freely on any and all platforms. Denying them this right is abuse.
    Not if the content they post goes against community guidelines. No one has a “right” to post on facebook, especially not when what they post goes against the terms and conditions they agreed to while signing up. If they want a platform free of rules they’re free to make their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    My reference was more about the internet. There will be any number of websites where these extremist views will be permitted to find a home, trouble is they are likely only to be visited by a small number of the already 'converted'.
    But that's ok. Keep the snakes in their pit and no one is going to be too bothered. Trouble with the sort of campaigns they run on FB is that they say things like, "Pensioner paid into the system all their life earns £4k a year. Immigrant comes to Britain gets £20k a year. Share if you think this is disgusting." Who can argue against that, except the facts are often made up and the photos deliberately evocative.

ReputationRep:
    But that's ok. Keep the snakes in their pit and no one is going to be too bothered. Trouble with the sort of campaigns they run on FB is that they say things like, "Pensioner paid into the system all their life earns £4k a year. Immigrant comes to Britain gets £20k a year. Share if you think this is disgusting." Who can argue against that, except the facts are often made up and the photos deliberately evocative.
    Totally agree. Reminds me of this kind of thing:

Name:  brexit £350 pledge.png
Views: 33
Size:  134.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Shall we silence everyone who is slightly far right? Sounds facist.
    'slightly' far right? Also, the 'far right' expressing concern about fascism is more than a little ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    'slightly' far right? Also, the 'far right' expressing concern about fascism is more than a little ironic.
    I should have worded it better, Slightly right wing, is what I should have said. Apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    I should have worded it better, Slightly right wing, is what I should have said. Apologies.
    No sweat.

ReputationRep:
    They're not just anti-Islamic, they've a beef with anyone who wasn't lucky to be born in the UK. Or unlucky, as the case may be. It's a retarded ideology, nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    There kind of is. Facebook is being seen to be doing something because they don't want to get the government to get all heavy handed and start regulating social platforms. But there is no right to free speech in the UK and incitement of hatred or violence carries a jail sentence, as Britain First's leader and deputy recently discovered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43320121
    ^ I really doubt that any of these platforms would give the least shits if it weren't for the fact that recently governments in Europe have been blackmailing them into removing these groups through threats of outrageous fines. That being said I'm not against Facebook banning groups like this in principle, I'm far more opposed to repressive 'hate speech' laws generally. If Facebook wants to focus on making their platform more friendly in general then that's fine, but its not coincidence that this only started happening since Germany etc. said they were going to nick $50m off them

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what their removed content was but it is not hard to believe it did breach the T&Cs, most of us agree that anything generally accepted as incitement to hatred is a bad thing. However, and beyond this particular case...

What needs to go together with the drive for blocking 'hatred' (the London Mayor has just addressed Silicon Valley on that, Mrs. May quite keen on the subject too) is a clearly thought out definition of what amounts to 'hate speech', where does it all start and end. It is a widely used and abused expression these days, many examples of it being used as a crude tool to bash diversity of opinion with these days on a wide variety of issues. Is it to be a self-identifying issue or something else, we need to know things like that.

The other thing is that it must be impartially applied at all levels beyond political or philosophical orientations. if it isn't, we do have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfolobus)
    You do not have a right to have your garbage hosted on someone else's website.
    In this country the right to free is speech is protected by the law. Companies and establishments that operate here are required by law to protect and secure the right to free speech for their employees, members and visitors.

I've had a lot of replies justifying the censorship by telling me that this group broke facebook policies and facebook is free to ban people that break its policies. It is not. Just like any other company working in this country, Facebook is subject to the law. Under the law in this country facebook does not have the right to deny people their right to express their views freely so long as their views are within the law.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    And yet they haven't deleted the pages of Trump or Farage yet.
    Because deleting the Presidents facebook is likely to get their board lynched. And Farage whilst an odious little toad isnt as bad as the wanna be fascists.

Nor of the European far-right - people who are even more extreme than the BNP remain up, presumably because they are waiting for it to be a good PR move before actually taking action against hate.
    Are you reffering to anyone in particular here? Either way unless they're doing something particularly egregious on their platform why should they remove their accounts?

ReputationRep:
    In this country the right to free is speech is protected by the law. Companies and establishments that operate here are required by law to protect and secure the right to free speech for their employees, members and visitors.

I've had a lot of replies justifying the censorship by telling me that this group broke facebook policies and facebook is free to ban people that break its policies. It is not. Just like any other company working in this country, Facebook is subject to the law. Under the law in this country facebook does not have the right to deny people their right to express their views freely so long as their views are within the law.
    Facebook is not stopping anyone expressing themselves. Britain First is free to express themselves in the local park. Facebook are merely preventing someone from using their service, which they are entitled to.

I suggest you educate yourself by reading Facebook's terms of service that every user agrees to. Particularly section 14. They can ban who they want.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff

Literally nothing in this post is true.

UK law does not provide inalienable protection for free speech, instead we have a law about freedom of expression.

Companies are not legally obliged to protect this non-existent right to free speech. They can and regularly do impose upon employees rules about how they dress, how they talk to people, etc. both while on the clock and in their own time. A company has a right to terminate an employee if they disagree with their conduct.

A company is also under no obligation to host or play audience to a particular person, persons or organisation, just because they're expressing an opinion. Facebook in particular has no legal obligation to allow access to all and sundry, and can restrict their membership and posting abilities as they see fit. For the first few years of its existence Facebook was exclusive to university students, nobody else was even allowed to sign up. That was perfectly legal to do back then, as is their ban on Britain First right now.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is known for censoring right-wing content. As an Asian person, I don't like racist people like Britain's First. But I wouldn't curb their right to freedom of speech...
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Seems a bit bizzare to me when they don't seem to be doing anything wrong that religious homophobes. But as a private entity, I guess they can do what they wish, within reason. BF are free to find another platform.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook actually banned a page that WAS sometimes harmful rather than another obscure meme page?

I'm gonna need a lie down.

ReputationRep:
    Britain First should be banned by the government.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.