Turn on thread page Beta

B1353 - Secularisation of Public Sector Bill watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1353 - Secularisation of Public Sector Bill, Unown Uzer

Secularisation of Public Sector Bill
    A
    BILL
    TO
    Ensure that government employees remain religiously neutral by making provision for the secularisation of the public sector

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) Definitions
    1. The public sector is the part of the economy composed of public services and public enterprises, including publicly owned corporations and services outsourced or contracted out to private corporations to carry out service(s) on behalf of the government.
    2. Public services include, but are not limited to, public goods and governmental services such as the military, police, infrastructure, public transport, public education, along with health care and those working for the government itself.
    3. Religious clothing refers to any item worn on the body that bears special significance to a faith group.

2) Secularisation of the Public Sector
    (1) No public sector employee may wear any religious clothing that is visible to others, or display any religious symbols on his or her clothing or body.
    (2) Any public sector employee who violates the provisions of section 2(1)—
    i) May be subject to immediate dismissal without receiving wages.

3) Short title, commencement and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Secularisation of Public Sector Act 2018.
    (2) This Act comes into effect 180 days after Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends to the entirety of the United Kingdom.

NotesThis bill is needed to ensure that public sector employees, who should be delivering a service by a secular government, are also secular and remain religiously neutral such that citizens being serviced by public sector employees do not in any way feel that the government is not secular or not neutral in terms of religion.

Posted by SpeakerBot

ReputationRep:
    Excellent bill! Very nice!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.

People working in the public sector – just like any other people – should have the freedom to wear religious clothing [and display religious symbols on their body] if they so wish, as it expresses their religious belief and they are entitled to the freedom to do so as long as it causes no harm onto others. Even if I didn't think that 2)(2)i) is simply too harsh to the point of being unreasonable – dismissing people in the public sector without warning or wages?

ReputationRep:
    Normally I’d support secularisation, but this is useless. There’s nothing wrong with somebody wanting to wear a cross necklace or a hijab. Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Excellent bill! Very nice!
    smh
    are you seriously preeing your own bill? kmt

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I see UU is keen to implement his Canadian ideals and frenchifiy us... Nay
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Thrillanthropist)
    smh
    are you seriously preeing your own bill? kmt
    You'll get used to UU.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Thaaaaat would be a no from me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Secularism (or laïcité) isn’t the British way of dealing with religious difference - nay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nay. At least UU is giving support to his own bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Secularism (or laïcité) isn’t the British way of dealing with religious difference - nay.
    Ah Laïcité... the bane of my time doing gcse French and I can’t escape it during a level French either xD

ReputationRep:
    It could very well be.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. The UK is a Christian country, the idea of a crucifix being regulated in this way therefore seems silly (b/c it is).

ReputationRep:
    mhoc is a joke
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    Ah Laïcité... the bane of my time doing gcse French and I can’t escape it during a level French either xD
    Oh really? I only touched upon it briefly as a concept in A Level French and have now studied it in some depth in my module called European Constitutional Systems that I take this year.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mattchaamp)
    mhoc is a joke
    Well we enjoy it and are always happy to welcome new members into the community. Would you be wanting to get involved?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Oh really? I only touched upon it briefly as a concept in A Level French and have now studied it in some depth in my module called European Constitutional Systems that I take this year.
    Yes I had one of my control assessments on it in gcse ( whether it was Writing or Speaking I can’t actually remember, maybe CoffeeGeek can elaborate)
    But yeah it’s thus far come up on our topics of education and now media (though I’d expect it comes up again in the work topic) considering it is thing that at least some French people care about, unsurprising that it has turned up from time to time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, I believe this is an issue for the services individually to decide on what uniform policy they adapt.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I sympathise with its aims as somebody who believes the United Kingdom should be a secular country, but I find this bill to be draconian. A small item of clothing does not prevent an individual from remaining neutral on matters of religion.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.