Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m looking to apply for medicine for 2019 entry. I’m in year 12 studying chem bio maths. My GCSEs aren’t that great : 2A* 7A 2B. I really want to apply to Leicester, Sheffield , UCL AND Brighton. Do I have a chance at these unis ? If not where else should I apply ?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, while it's good to have some med schools in mind, try not to narrow your choices down at this stage. There's plenty of time for that when you sit your UKCAT.

Your GCSEs are good for any other course but for medicine it is unfortunately below average and so you might struggle to get into some unis. You can still absolutely get 4 out of 4 interviews if you're careful on where you apply. When it comes applying, make sure you choose med schools which aren't GCSE heavy.

Leicester weigh GCSEs 50:50 with UKCAT so unless you have a stellar UKCAT score it's a difficult one to call but not impossible.
    You're fine with Sheffield as they only rank on UKCAT score to invite for interview as long as you meet their minimum entry requirements. So nail the UKCAT!
    UCL is fine. They don't really look at your GCSEs but you'd need to sit the BMAT.
    Brighton and Sussex use the BMAT too. I don't know how much they weigh GCSEs so you'd need to find out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I would wait to see what your UKCAT score is before you choose where to apply, as you may need to apply strategically for medicine. It's all about getting that interview, as all applicants are equal from that point.

(I.e. For offering interviews: Birmingham give 70% weighting to GCSEs, but for Bristol it's only 15%!! Also, Nottingham is 70% UKCAT, so I would definitely take this into account). By all means apply to places that you like, but don't waste all your choices by not playing to your strengths!

I wasted an application to Bristol as it didn't play to my strengths, but my other choices did and I got offers (Hopefully going to be starting in October!)

Although I'm not sure about those unis, as I didn't apply to any of them sorry.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westcw13)
    Hi!

I would wait to see what your UKCAT score is before you choose where to apply, as you may need to apply strategically for medicine. It's all about getting that interview, as all applicants are equal from that point.

(I.e. For offering interviews: Birmingham give 70% weighting to GCSEs, but for Bristol it's only 15%!! Also, Nottingham is 70% UKCAT, so I would definitely take this into account). By all means apply to places that you like, but don't waste all your choices by not playing to your strengths!

I wasted an application to Bristol as it didn't play to my strengths, but my other choices did and I got offers (Hopefully going to be starting in October!)

Although I'm not sure about those unis, as I didn't apply to any of them sorry.
    Your gcses must’ve been great tho

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.