Turn on thread page Beta

old or out dated equipment at your uni or school watch

ReputationRep:
    in my first year at uni we used a MC6800 board (1974) it's older than me it's so old you have to use command line to access the compiler.

At school we had in the IT room Acorns (1996) while the rest of the school had proper windows PC's(present day) except for one Maths room which still had old BBC micros (1986)

So did any of you guys have any old or obsolete thing that you had to use at scholar uni what was it and how old was it?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing at all since I go to a private school, especially as my dad contributes a large amount of funding to the school.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    About the closest thing that springs to mind is our digital forensics lab. The PCs are perfectly modern (6700K, 32GB RAM, 980s) but the displays are maybe 15 inch, 4:3 monitors. The room is far too small for anything that isn't a small square monitor and that's arguably not an issue of "outdated" tech. Besides that we still have Windows 7 and that's about it.

Apart from the actual museum style cabinets with old tech in them, nothing is older than me and most things computers are a few years old at best.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    in my first year at uni we used a MC6800 board (1974) it's older than me it's so old you have to use command line to access the compiler.

At school we had in the IT room Acorns (1996) while the rest of the school had proper windows PC's(present day) except for one Maths room which still had old BBC micros (1986)

So did any of you guys have any old or obsolete thing that you had to use at scholar uni what was it and how old was it?
    Not anymore, we used to have Dell Optiplex computers, but they got replaced. Those were the only "out dated" equipment we had :laugh:

Tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Technology and computers

ReputationRep:
    Think the microwave in my halls is as old as me. Any of my uni's actual teaching stuff isn't too bad.

At school everything seemed to be in date.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My primary school had BBC Micros and Acorn Archimedes'... but it was the early 90s, so they wouldn't have been that dated at the time. :p: I'd assume they're long gone by now. :laugh:

(Original post by jonathanemptage)

We had mid-1980s computers at my primary school. But to be fair they were only ten years old at the time.

(Original post by Glassapple)
    Nothing at all since I go to a private school, especially as my dad contributes a large amount of funding to the school.
    Lol, Malfoy.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.