The Student Room Group

Feel like boyfriend's parents don't like me

They have not said to me that they don't like me but it's just the vibe I get.

I've met them four times in total. The first time they were really welcoming and friendly, the second I made an effort to speak to his mum (his did was not there) the third we greeted each other and then they left but this last time I stayed over at their house. I saw his dad first and he asked me if I wanted food and I politely declined he then asked if his son would like a drink and then didn't even try and cover up that he did not know my name. We were then sat with his mum and this happened...

BF: It's anon's birthday today
Mum: Who's anon?
Mum: Oh sorry, happy birthday
Me: Thank you
and then she proceeded to ask me a little bit about what I was doing but
I just haven't felt welcome in their house since after my second visit. He's visited my house twice and has been made to feel welcome both times.

I want to bring it up with him but I don't want come across like accusing them of hating me. How do I do it without causing an argument?
It takes time to build up a relationship with your bf's parents, so don't be disheartened if it seems like they don't like you. If it still remains like this, you could have a informal chat with your bf. Maybe his parents don't realise how their behaviour is affecting you. You don't need to best friends with them but try to have a civil relationship for your bf's sake.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
It takes time to build up a relationship with your bf's parents, so don't be disheartened if it seems like they don't like you. If it still remains like this, you could have a informal chat with your bf. Maybe his parents don't realise how their behaviour is affecting you. You don't need to best friends with them but try to have a civil relationship for your bf's sake.

Which I completely understand but when I've been dating their son for three months I at least expect them to know my name
Original post by Anonymous
Which I completely understand but when I've been dating their son for three months I at least expect them to know my name

Was it intentional or perhaps she just forgot in that moment? Has this only happened the one time?
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
Was it intentional or perhaps she just forgot in that moment? Has this only happened the one time?

It's the second time it's happened. After the first time I brought it up with him and he said of course she knows your name she sometimes asks about you.

I am going to his next weekend and I am already not looking forward to it :frown:
See what happens during your next visit, like the first post mentioned, you don't necessarily have to be best friends with his parents but have a civil relationship with them. Also since you guys have only been dating for three months, maybe they don't know you as well and are not taking it as serious, if you and your boyfriend continue your relationship, they'll start to take it more seriously and they won't make those mistakes.
Tbh, he's your boyfriend, not his parents.
Reply 7
Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur
Tbh, he's your boyfriend, not his parents.

Of course but it's awkward sitting there when they have no idea what you're called despite him just saying your name!
Of course but it's awkward sitting there when they have no idea what you're called despite him just saying your name!

I guess. Can you ask him why he thinks they dislike you?
Reply 9
Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur
I guess. Can you ask him why he thinks they dislike you?

I want to but I don't want it to cause an argument so I don't really know how to bring it up
I want to but I don't want it to cause an argument so I don't really know how to bring it up

I'm sorry. I don't know how to help. Sorry.
Original post by alicesmiloves
See what happens during your next visit, like the first post mentioned, you don't necessarily have to be best friends with his parents but have a civil relationship with them. Also since you guys have only been dating for three months, maybe they don't know you as well and are not taking it as serious, if you and your boyfriend continue your relationship, they'll start to take it more seriously and they won't make those mistakes.

I understand that, I don't expect them to be inviting me to family events and having photos with them etc but at this point I expect them to at least know my name
I understand that, I don't expect them to be inviting me to family events and having photos with them etc but at this point I expect them to at least know my name

I'd say let this incident slide for now, and see what happens the next time you're around them, if they still don't remember your name than you should ask your boyfriend what's going on.
I was just wondering what happened in the end ?
Original post by MiaO12
I was just wondering what happened in the end ?

They never accepted me and we broke up not long after me making the thread. I think it was because of the amount of time between me and his ex before me but we’ll never know I guess. I’m now with someone else and his parents like me and vice versa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending