Turn on thread page Beta

Really anxious about something I did about an exam... watch

... so I'm in Year 12 and we had mocks over the last 2 weeks.

For biology, a topic I struggle with and the teacher doesn't believe in me, we were given a revision list of topics that may come up in our papers.

I did some past papers, and one of them looked extremely similar to the topics we were given so I focused on it, remembering a lot of answers.

We had the exam and it was the paper that I sort of predicted!

Now it's going to look suspicious that I knew a lot of the answers, some word for word!

What do I do?
    Is this cheating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ... so I'm in Year 12 and we had mocks over the last 2 weeks.

For biology, a topic I struggle with and the teacher doesn't believe in me, we were given a revision list of topics that may come up in our papers.

I did some past papers, and one of them looked extremely similar to the topics we were given so I focused on it, remembering a lot of answers.

We had the exam and it was the paper that I sort of predicted!

Now it's going to look suspicious that I knew a lot of the answers, some word for word!

What do I do?
    Is this cheating?
    do nothing and if your teacher asks then say that it turned out it was a paper you had done as revision.
    I would have done the same thing
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Baza2002)
    do nothing and if your teacher asks then say that it turned out it was a paper you had done as revision.
    I would have done the same thing
    I guess that's what I should do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I guess that's what I should do
    what are you doing at A-Level?

Ahead forth and deny all claims of cheating, I say.

ReputationRep:
    it's not cheating, but you almost certainly would have done very well on that paper, which won't mean much as the only reason you'd have done well is due to prior exposure rather than improving on the topic you're looking to strengthen your knowledge on. My advice is to be open with your teacher, explain the reason your performance here was good was due not to understanding of the topic but because you basically knew the answers, and emphasise you still want to work on that area/seek more support so that you're fully ready for the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

If it's the right answer it's the right answer, nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    No, I would not consider that to be cheating.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! Your revision just happened to be spot on - well done honestly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's not cheating. You didn't know that paper was going to be pretty much the exact same as the mock exam beforehand.

You'll probably get a good result but it won't accurately show your true abilities, so won't be of much use.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to worry about!

You didn't cheat that is acceptable practice in most further education also, I did a qualification before University a technical qualification particularly to a field of industry, where we did simulated exams they would give us the questions and answers (mock exam pack) and the real exam would be exactly the same the only thing they changed was the numbers but the exam was set the same. Designed for anyone who had attended the mock exam and followed through with concerted effort to learn the pack of questions and how to answer them to do well enough to pass. If you learning a trade whatever you are taught you use in the workplace, so if you use the skills again and again you will retain the knowledge even if it was spoon fed to you in the first place to get the qualification.

Its not cheating you made an effort to learn everything, using good time management to complete the exam and submit to them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.