Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    will upload in a min
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  191.8 KB

    need help in part b

    for a number of molecular ions peak, I think there will be 4 (4 combinations)
    for m/z value is it 320 (I have no idea)

    can someone please explain me that
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Qer)
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  191.8 KB

    need help in part b

    for a number of molecular ions peak, I think there will be 4 (4 combinations)
    for m/z value is it 320 (I have no idea)

    can someone please explain me that
    It's just statistics.

    Four chlorines
    Two isotopes

    How many possible (unique) combinations

    37, 37, 37, 37
    37, 37, 37, 35
    37, 37, 35, 35
    37, 35, 35, 35
    35, 35, 35, 35
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    Imagine you have 4 coins, how many different combinations of heads and tails can you get? All heads, 1H 3T, 2H 2T, 3H 1T, all tails. 5 different possibilities. It is the same principle in the TCDD. This compound has 5 possible molecular weights. The most abundant peak would be one with 3 Cl^37 and 1 Cl^35. Add up the Mr and this would give you 322g
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by charco)
    It's just statistics.

    Four chlorines
    Two isotopes

    How many possible (unique) combinations

    37, 37, 37, 37
    37, 37, 37, 35
    37, 37, 35, 35
    37, 35, 35, 35
    35, 35, 35, 35


    5...............................
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KESbian)
    Imagine you have 4 coins, how many different combinations of heads and tails can you get? All heads, 1H 3T, 2H 2T, 3H 1T, all tails. 5 different possibilities. It is the same principle in the TCDD. This compound has 5 possible molecular weights. The most abundant peak would be one with 3 Cl^37 and 1 Cl^35. Add up the Mr and this would give you 322g
    The most abundant peak would be one with 3 Cl^37 and 1 Cl^35. Add up the Mr and this would give you 322g


    I don't understand why 3 CL^37 and one cl^35?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Qer)
    The most abundant peak would be one with 3 Cl^37 and 1 Cl^35. Add up the Mr and this would give you 322g


    I don't understand why 3 CL^37 and one cl^35?
    The most abundant peak wold be the one wth the most likelihood.

    The odds of a 35 are 75%, or 3/4 and the odds of a 37 Cl are 25% or 1/4

    Hence the odds for each of the following are:

    37, 37, 37, 37 = 1/256 = 0.39%
    37, 37, 37, 35 = 3/256 = 1.17 and four different ways of doing it = 4.69%
    37, 37, 35, 35 = 9/256 = 3.52% and six different ways of doing it = 21.09%
    37, 35, 35, 35 = 27/256 = 10.55% and four different ways of doing it = 42.19%
    35, 35, 35, 35 = 81/256 = 31.64%
    --------------------------------------------------- total percentage checksum = 100%

    So the most intense peak will be due to 37Cl35Cl35Cl35Cl
    With a relative mass of 322
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by charco)
    The most abundant peak wold be the one wth the most likelihood.

    The odds of a 35 are 75%, or 3/4 and the odds of a 37 Cl are 25% or 1/4

    Hence the odds for each of the following are:

    37, 37, 37, 37 = 1/256 = 0.39%
    37, 37, 37, 35 = 3/256 = 1.17 and four different ways of doing it = 4.69%
    37, 37, 35, 35 = 9/256 = 3.52% and six different ways of doing it = 21.09%
    37, 35, 35, 35 = 27/256 = 10.55% and four different ways of doing it = 42.19%
    35, 35, 35, 35 = 81/256 = 31.64%
    --------------------------------------------------- total percentage checksum = 100%

    So the most intense peak will be due to 37Cl35Cl35Cl35Cl
    With a relative mass of 322
    thanks
    It makes sense
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Qer)
    thanks
    It makes sense
    Chemistry does (usually)
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 15, 2018

University open days

  1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.