Turn on thread page Beta

How to be less paranoid about being watched? watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When I go to the gym, currently I only use the treadmill. I know how to use it and don't feel like I'm being watched when using it. It's simple and easy, and I get a good workout from it.

But I really want to try the other machines like the rowing machine, bikes or the one where you swing your arms and legs at the same time. But because I've never used them before, I'm paranoid about being watched while I try to figure out how to use them, and look like a bit of a dweeb for not knowing. I know I can ask a member of staff, but I'm just feeling a bit awkward about it.

How can I get over this? I really want (and probably need) to get fitter and lose some fat, preferably before I go on holiday in 2 months. Yes, I am altering my diet (but really struggling with sweet stuff) but I want to exercise more too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Go at quieter times?

If you really cannot work it out then ask staff as you say. They won’t bite.

The bikes are very simple, it’s all touch screen.

Just think - what is the worst that’s gonna happen?
    Everyone started somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Generally the machines are really simple. You can see the movement by watching other people. So it's just the screen to work out and they're very intuitive.

ReputationRep:
    Study videos on the internet so you get a rough idea. Goodluck losing weight.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I was the same dont worry, i felt like i was the only one who knew nothing and everyone will be watching me etc, but in all honesty, everyone goes in with a mindset of working out and focus on their own work out only, no one really has time to see what others are doing, how do i know this? because now i go regularly, and work there too, everyone just minds their own business!!! it's okay dont worry, you can do this

the gyms normally get really quite around 5:30pm ish, try and go then, mines literally dead after 5:30pm! means you can just get on with it and try out new stuff too!

ReputationRep:
    Get a buddy to exercise with you. It allows you to learn and them.
    It makes you more likely to workout and stick to schedules whilst making it more fun.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody really cares that much at all about what other people are doing at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    the gyms normally get really quite around 5:30pm ish, try and go then, mines literally dead after 5:30pm! means you can just get on with it and try out new stuff too!
    Haha you what? Gyms are usually building to peak business at that time from all the people coming in after work!

To answer the OP, no one really gives a crap what anyone else is doing unless you are visibly doing something very wrong. But its pretty hard to totally **** up rowing or cycling so...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Haha you what? Gyms are usually building to peak business at that time from all the people coming in after work!

To answer the OP, no one really gives a crap what anyone else is doing unless you are visibly doing something very wrong. But its pretty hard to totally **** up rowing or cycling so...
    haha in my gym anyway, i work there and peak there is between 3-5:30pm. after that, deeead

ReputationRep:
    Relax, you get all sorts of awkward goofs in the Gym. I can sympathise though. I never liked exercising in my neighbourhood because I was surrounded by a bunch of really nosey, stuck-up white people (about 60% of whom are pensioners) who would glare disaprovingly at you from their windows and cars. I used to train on my street to improve my 1.5 mile time and there would always be the stuck-up *******s in their black landrovers and shiny Volvos looking at me as though I was an escaped zoo animal while I was trying not to have a heart attack from the physical exertion. I learned to just smile at them, it makes them look away.

Rowing machine is pretty simple. Just watch someone else do it and then copy. I do find those fancy machines to be a bit awkward myself as I'm very tall. You have to start somewhere. The only cardio machines I use are the treadmill and the rowing machine as they, in my humble opinion, are the only functional machines. The eliptical is for weak/fat people. I only use the rowing machine when I feel like it though. If you want to lose weight and look good, you NEED TO TRAIN YOUR MUSCLES AS CARDIO CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH. Believe me, if you wreck your muscles, you're body will burn cals like an engine

Why are you so afraid of looking like a dweeb? Do you have an image to protect or something? Is there someone at the gym that you have a crush on? Maybe you should just aggresively embrace your dweeb-ness and confront the fact that you're not as badass as you'd like to be. This is how I stay confident. I acknowledge and am at peace with the fact that people are always going to be better than me and may even look down on me. I don't care, I'm on my own journey. Perhaps you need to deflate your own ego, as painful as that might be. I had to do this. If it's as simple as being a little embarrased, just grow some balls and make some gains. Though I will admit that exercising in solitude is best if you want to stay focused.

It just so happens that I'm cleaning up my diet as well. Because I'm in good shape and eat healthily, I thought I could get away with eating 2 6-packs of apple pies, 4 cornish pasties and 2 packets of fig rolls every week on top of my normal diet but, needless to say, it caught up with me. Your body is addicted to the sugar like a drug. When you stop, you'll experience whithdrawl symptoms (late night cravings, maybe some drowsiness etc) but eventually, you'll reach a point where you wonder why you felt the need to eat all of that junk in the first place. Your testosterone will increase and you'll have an easier time burning fat and building muscles. Embrace discomfort, it's good for you.

ReputationRep:
    Did you not get an induction when you first joined? I would go at a quiet time and ask someone who works there if they could show me how the machines work as I didn’t get shown when I joined. I’m sure they won’t mind, some short lived awkwardness could solve you struggling with this for a longer time!

I’m not a fan of the gym because I get too self conscious, which is a shame because I love the machines. Try to focus on something other than what others are doing, like your music or a tv if there’s one in your gym.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If it makes you feel better I let out quite a few very loud monstrous accidental farts during squats, leg press, etc and the whole gym stared at me. Whatever you do, remember that you cannot do worse than that.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.