Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a technique/method for answering the big markers for business studies, as the only thing currently keeping my a float in business are 1, 2 and 3 mark questions which if I'm lucky get's me a 6/7, the last 9 maker I did I got 2 marks in total. I have no idea what to write in order to get marks. Anyone lend a hand?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheCoolStool)
    Does anyone have a technique/method for answering the big markers for business studies, as the only thing currently keeping my a float in business are 1, 2 and 3 mark questions which if I'm lucky get's me a 6/7, the last 9 maker I did I got 2 marks in total. I have no idea what to write in order to get marks. Anyone lend a hand?
    Look at the question and pick out the key terms. Then, spend a few sentences defining/explaining these. So if the question is "how do you work out profit?" then you define profit. If the question is "what factors contribute to business growth" then you define business growth.
    You only need to spend a few sentences, but pick out what the question is asking and then show you've understood it.

Then make sure you answer the question. Read it carefully. If we look at "what factors contribute to business growth" then you need to look at growth. You're not talking about how to run a successful business, or how to make a profit, or how a business might decline. You might want to touch upon those things - a business can't grow unless it is successful etc - but you need to make it perfectly clear that you are talking about business growth.

You might think of reasons why the things wouldn't work - imagine yourself going "ah, but!" after your point. So you might be talking about how a business needs to be successful to grow, and then you might think "well, actually, some non-successful businesses do grow". If so, add it in! This is evaluating your points, and is key to higher marks. So if you ever find yourself thinking "well, actually the opposite can sometimes be true" or "that doesn't work in all situations" then you need to include it (whilst remembering to link it back to the question).

If the question is "what is the main reason..." then you need to make sure you've mentioned a few reasons, but that you've picked one out as the main one and explained why. If you really can't pick one, then say that two (or whatever) are equally important. But you can't just discuss a few and then leave it hanging, because that looks like you didn't understand the question.

Similarly, if the question says "how important is..." then you need to sum up at the end to say it is/isn't important. You can clarify further with a lot/a little/not very much etc.

Make sure that you understand the different key words. "Explain the factors relating to business growth" is a different question to "state the factors relating to business growth".

Feel free to include diagrams! If you feel that you can explain something better with a diagram/picture then do so. But make sure you then explain what the diagram is showing.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.