The Student Room Group

Anyone else weirdly miss GCSES and Year 11?

I definitely spent the whole of my last year at my secondary school WISHING to leave and do A levels, to kick out maths and all other stuff I hated.
Now, 5 months into A levels I have this weird longing to just do GCSES again? Idk I feel like as a year group we bonded far more in our final year and now that we've all gone our separate ways it's just not the same?
I strangely miss school. I miss the structure, knowing my year group, the satisfaction of finishing each exam

Is anyone else like this?
Wait till you get to uni, then you'll be missing A-Levels.
I can definitely relate. At secondary school, I knew the majority of my year group. We could afford to waste lesson time messing around or watching films. While college is more laid-back, the pressure is definitely there. I don't really feel it myself directly (I tend to be one of those people who can do well without much studying), but somehow everyone else's tension seems to affect me. Doesn't help that I go to one of the largest sixth-forms in the country (over 1500 per year), so I'd do well to know 5% of my year group.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMindGarage
I can definitely relate. At secondary school, I knew the majority of my year group. We could afford to waste lesson time messing around or watching films. While college is more laid-back, the pressure is definitely there. I don't really feel it myself directly (I tend to be one of those people who can do well without much studying), but somehow everyone else's tension seems to affect me. Doesn't help that I go to one of the largest sixth-forms in the country (over 1500 per year), so I'd do well to know 5% of my year group.

Legit same! I'm at one of the biggest too, with total enrolment close to 5,000, so they reckon.
Just out of a matter of interest (to make sure we aren't actually at the same place lmao) does the following abbreviation of the sixth form's name mean anything to you - 'f6th'
I miss the exams so much, however ridiculous that sounds.

I'm now doing a-level maths and further maths, and I literally fantasise about the GCSE maths exams which I always finished in about half an hour. French and German exams were a breeze too, looking back. Nowadays my exams are absolutely brutal. I think about the FP3 paper and I want to cry, and the thought of writing those essays in my French and German papers fills me with dread.

My year in sixth form is only about 150 people, almost all of whom were in the school in lower years, so I don't really have the same longing for the camaraderie.

I do, however, miss the days when I was actually a functioning human being.
Reply 5
Definitely going to feel like this after yr13 but that's life init
wow now i really dont want to go to sixth form lmfao
Original post by bluebells1
Legit same! I'm at one of the biggest too, with total enrolment close to 5,000, so they reckon.
Just out of a matter of interest (to make sure we aren't actually at the same place lmao) does the following abbreviation of the sixth form's name mean anything to you - 'f6th'

No it doesn't. We're safe :biggrin:.
Reply 8
Nope. Year 11 was one of the worst years of my life, I wouldn’t go back to school if you paid me! For me the best is yet to come, I wouldn’t want to spend life longing for the past because I peaked in high school. (though i’m highkey jealous of those who had a great time at school)
Reply 9
This is making me miss it before its even over.
yep
I miss nothing about school OR sixth form (stayed at the same place for 6th form). Getting into uni was the happiest day of my life
Ah wow, so mixed replies. Generally I think the reason I loved it so much (ok I didn't LOVE it, but preferred it!) Is because of teachers being really supportive and having friends (who sadly I no longer see on a day to day basis) being there to be nerdy with 😂😂

It all depends on personal experience - but for any current year 11 people here I just wanna say, I've become so much more aware of options now than I was in year 11. I assumed 'if I fail these gcses I can't do anything and can't do a levels" or "if I choose the wrong a levels I'll never get the career I want" it is wrong!
There are so many options - distance learning, access courses, repeating the year that I BET your school hasn't made you aware of.
So for anyone seriously anxious about school, feel like they've taken the wrong options etc this isn't the end of the story.
For people hating year 11 and wishing for sixth form, savour the time you have with friends and teachers - my life has changed so much since sept

Quick Reply

Latest