Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone explain to me in simpler terms how a beta particle is formed? It says this in the text book, but i didn't really understand it: 'The electrons that are beta particles come from the nuclei of atoms when a neutron transforms into a proton. Beta particles do not ionise the atoms as they leave them.'

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datters)
    Please can someone explain to me in simpler terms how a beta particle is formed? It says this in the text book, but i didn't really understand it: 'The electrons that are beta particles come from the nuclei of atoms when a neutron transforms into a proton. Beta particles do not ionise the atoms as they leave them.'

Thank you!
    A neutron splits into a proton and electron. The electron is the beta particle. Due to its negligible mass, the atomic mass of the atom doesn't change. Because of the proton produced, the proton number increases by one due to the loss of a negative charge (the electron). The atom isn't ionised, because it actually becomes a new element, and doesn't add or remove any electrons from the electron shells.

Hope that helped, if you need anything else, just ask!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mehru1214)
    A neutron splits into a proton and electron. The electron is the beta particle. Due to its negligible mass, the atomic mass of the atom doesn't change. Because of the proton produced, the proton number increases by one due to the loss of a negative charge (the electron). The atom isn't ionised, because it actually becomes a new element, and doesn't add or remove any electrons from the electron shells.

If that electron shoots off and now you have an extra proton, wouldn't be an ion as by definition, there's a net charge?

ReputationRep:
    Simply put, the atom/nucleus is attempting to become stable via changing a neutron to a proton. Why/how it does this doesn't really matter. Whenever this happens an electron is given off by the change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehru1214)

Thank you very much! I think I understand it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyDiver)
    Simply put, the atom/nucleus is attempting to become stable via changing a neutron to a proton. Why/how it does this doesn't really matter. Whenever this happens an electron is given off by the change
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    If that electron shoots off and now you have an extra proton, wouldn't be an ion as by definition, there's a net charge?
    No, because this is concerning the nucleus. Ionisation by definition only occurs when electrons are added or removed from the electron shells.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.