The Student Room Group

Alevel Maths (stats) help

Have this A-Level Statistics worksheet due in tomorrow to a teacher that expects every question to be done/attempted and I don’t even know where to start. I hate Permutations

An exam paper consists of 8 questions, of which one is on geometric distribution and one is on binomial distributions.
a.) if the 8 questions are arranged in a random order what is the probability that the question on geometric distribution and binomial distributions are next to each other? (3 marks)

(I am thinking (2! x 6!)/8! Not sure if this is right)

Four questions incl. the one on geometric distribution are worth 7 marks. The other four incl the one on binomial distributions are 9 mark questions. The 4, 7 mark questions arranged in a random order are first on the paper followed by the 4, 9 mark questions also in a random order
A.) find the probability that the named questions are next to each other. (3 marks)
B.) find the probability that the named questions are separated by at least two other questions (4 marks)

If you can do this please show working out/ explanation to why you would try this. As show above, I have to do these in factorials.

Quick Reply