The Student Room Group

Studying at a Dutch university after Brexit

I don't know where to list this question under, but I'm looking to do an Undergraduate Bachelor Degree in Photography at Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It looks like an amazing course in such a cool place, and the tuition fees are peanuts compared to extortionate UK prices. However, due to Brexit, I am unsure whether my 2000 eur fees for EU students will go up to 8000 eur fees (with no availability for a loan after Brexit!) for non-EU students.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this as I'd be so disappointed to miss out on this opportunity because half my country voted leave!!!! (I wish I was old enough to vote remain at the time of the vote, but hey..)

I know it's all speculation as no one has a clue, but the two sides of the story are either:

- Once I'm on the course, I'm guaranteed the same fees I started with, regardless of leaving the EU

or

- Once the UK leaves the EU, universities must change my fees in order to avoid discrimination against other non-EU countries who have to pay 8000 euros
Original post by jess_rochester
I don't know where to list this question under, but I'm looking to do an Undergraduate Bachelor Degree in Photography at Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It looks like an amazing course in such a cool place, and the tuition fees are peanuts compared to extortionate UK prices. However, due to Brexit, I am unsure whether my 2000 eur fees for EU students will go up to 8000 eur fees (with no availability for a loan after Brexit!) for non-EU students.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this as I'd be so disappointed to miss out on this opportunity because half my country voted leave!!!! (I wish I was old enough to vote remain at the time of the vote, but hey..)

I know it's all speculation as no one has a clue, but the two sides of the story are either:

- Once I'm on the course, I'm guaranteed the same fees I started with, regardless of leaving the EU

or

- Once the UK leaves the EU, universities must change my fees in order to avoid discrimination against other non-EU countries who have to pay 8000 euros

What start year? 2018? have you contacted them?

Imo anything starting now will be preserved just as we have agreed to do so for EU students.

Its likely imo we will continue to work with EU countries at least for a transition period and beyond to provide opportunities to study. This depends on the Brexit agreement. If you are planning to start in the next few years I would be confident as they wont drop you in it. Contact them.
Original post by 999tigger
What start year? 2018? have you contacted them?

Imo anything starting now will be preserved just as we have agreed to do so for EU students.

Its likely imo we will continue to work with EU countries at least for a transition period and beyond to provide opportunities to study. This depends on the Brexit agreement. If you are planning to start in the next few years I would be confident as they wont drop you in it. Contact them.

Yeah 2018, that's what I would assume!

I've emailed them, but I'm still awaiting a reply - I'm new to all this so I dunno how long it usually takes them to reply to emails, it's getting worrying tho since the deadline is soon!

Thanks for you reply :smile:
Original post by jess_rochester
Yeah 2018, that's what I would assume!

I've emailed them, but I'm still awaiting a reply - I'm new to all this so I dunno how long it usually takes them to reply to emails, it's getting worrying tho since the deadline is soon!

Thanks for you reply :smile:

Then call their international department or admissions. For 2018, then I think they can give you a definitive answer as we have already promised to protect EU students.

Quick Reply

Latest