Turn on thread page Beta

I am in a relationship that I feel could be controlling or something
    worse.

I've been in the relationship for a year now and he has started telling me what i can and can't do. Who i can and can't talk to. I have anxiety issues and I'm scared of telling him how i feel because he is shutting me away from my friends and most family members.

He is constantly reading through my messages on my phone and treating me like rubbish.

I feel like I've done something wrong but can't think of what I could
    have.

What would you guys do if you was in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    Ditch him
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    End it ASAP. This isn't healthy and he'll likely only get worse unless you take action

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am in a relationship that I feel could be controlling or something
    worse.

I've been in the relationship for a year now and he has started telling me what i can and can't do. Who i can and can't talk to. I have anxiety issues and I'm scared of telling him how i feel because he is shutting me away from my friends and most family members.

He is constantly reading through my messages on my phone and treating me like rubbish.

I feel like I've done something wrong but can't think of what I could
    have.

What would you guys do if you was in this situation?
    I had a boyfriend like this. No matter what you do he will find a way to control you. Do everything he says and he’ll find something else that ‘upsets him’. You need to get out of there fast. I know it’s hard but it won’t end well regardless but the longer you hang on the harder it gets. Once you break it off, break it off for good. He will probably try to have this control over you even after you’re done but you cannot let him. Block him if need be. Your happiness is so much more important!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    End the relationship. That's a toxic relationship. When you're in a relationship, both people have to view the other as an individual, not as their property and you mentioned that he has made you shut out friends and family members, and that is not okay at all. You can find a better guy who won't treat you like trash or control the way you live your life.

Can you suggest any ways in which to end it? I'm scared of doing it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.