Turn on thread page Beta

what are some books which 'changed your life' watch

ReputationRep:
    what books have you read which changed your life/high impact?

nothing ive read has had a massive life changing impact but i learned alot from
    what every body is saying - book about body language so you can literally read someone like a book surprisingly well scarily well.
    power of now - which is about living in present moment
    brain which changes itself is pretty good to grasp an understand neuroscience

ReputationRep:
    Idk but some Michael Morpurgo books have left me pretty damn traumatised.
    Also i read Dustbin Cat by Ingrid Lee when i was really young and it practically put me into a depression for a year because i thought it was so sad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Simply, The Catcher in the Rye.
    I read it to talk about in a library job interview, fair to say I didn't get the job. Haha!

ReputationRep:
    My mathmaths textbook - ah, it destroyed my life with its complex sums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajohns)
    13 Reasons Why. Made me cry, but such an amazing and poignant book.
    Looking For Alaska. Gave me inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. I kept coming across it in different charity shops so I thought Id' give it a go. In the first few pages, it tells you about the author- that he studied Mental Health Nursing and now he's a Mental Health nurse. I didn't know the course existed but I was already interested in that kind of thing. At the time I thought "maybe I could do that course?" but what I actually thought was "no, that's stupid, that will never happen." Now I'm in my first year of a Mental Health Nursing degree, and I doubt I would be here if I didn't decide to buy this book that day
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Moved to Books, literature and comics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajohns)

nothing ive read has had a massive life changing impact but i learned alot from
    what every body is saying - book about body language so you can literally read someone like a book surprisingly well scarily well.
    power of now - which is about living in present moment
    brain which changes itself is pretty good to grasp an understand neuroscience
    Ive read a few chapters of 'Strategy' by Lawrence Freedman. While I haven't finished it his deep analysis into strategic thinking is a brain tickler and very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    12 Rules for Life by Jordan B Peterson:

RULE 1 / Stand up straight with your shoulders back
    RULE 2 / Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
    RULE 3 / Make friends with people who want the best for you
    RULE 4 / Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
    RULE 5 / Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
    RULE 6 / Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
    RULE 7 / Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
    RULE 8 / Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie
    RULE 9 / Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t
    RULE 10 / Be precise in your speech
    RULE 11 / Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
    RULE 12 / Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.