Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what are some books which 'changed your life' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what books have you read which changed your life/high impact?

nothing ive read has had a massive life changing impact but i learned alot from
    what every body is saying - book about body language so you can literally read someone like a book surprisingly well scarily well.
    power of now - which is about living in present moment
    brain which changes itself is pretty good to grasp an understand neuroscience

ReputationRep:
    Idk but some Michael Morpurgo books have left me pretty damn traumatised.
    Also i read Dustbin Cat by Ingrid Lee when i was really young and it practically put me into a depression for a year because i thought it was so sad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Simply, The Catcher in the Rye.
    I read it to talk about in a library job interview, fair to say I didn't get the job. Haha!

ReputationRep:
    My mathmaths textbook - ah, it destroyed my life with its complex sums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajohns)
    13 Reasons Why. Made me cry, but such an amazing and poignant book.
    Looking For Alaska. Gave me inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. I kept coming across it in different charity shops so I thought Id' give it a go. In the first few pages, it tells you about the author- that he studied Mental Health Nursing and now he's a Mental Health nurse. I didn't know the course existed but I was already interested in that kind of thing. At the time I thought "maybe I could do that course?" but what I actually thought was "no, that's stupid, that will never happen." Now I'm in my first year of a Mental Health Nursing degree, and I doubt I would be here if I didn't decide to buy this book that day
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Moved to Books, literature and comics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajohns)

nothing ive read has had a massive life changing impact but i learned alot from
    what every body is saying - book about body language so you can literally read someone like a book surprisingly well scarily well.
    power of now - which is about living in present moment
    brain which changes itself is pretty good to grasp an understand neuroscience
    Ive read a few chapters of 'Strategy' by Lawrence Freedman. While I haven't finished it his deep analysis into strategic thinking is a brain tickler and very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    12 Rules for Life by Jordan B Peterson:

RULE 1 / Stand up straight with your shoulders back
    RULE 2 / Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
    RULE 3 / Make friends with people who want the best for you
    RULE 4 / Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
    RULE 5 / Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
    RULE 6 / Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
    RULE 7 / Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
    RULE 8 / Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie
    RULE 9 / Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t
    RULE 10 / Be precise in your speech
    RULE 11 / Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
    RULE 12 / Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.