Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for History & Politics and have offers from all 5 of the Uni's I applied to but I'm really struggling to make a decision! The 2 that I like the most are Reading and Birmingham. Reading have offered me an Unconditional if I Firm them and Birmingham needs 3x A's but I'm only predicted AAB-ABB. I have friends going to Birmingham & I really like it so it would be my first choice especially as it's higher ranked with better long term prospects etc but whilst 3 A's might be possible it will be a big ask so is it worth the risk? Do Birmingham take students that miss their grades ever? Are they likely to have made a lot of Unconditional offers already? I liked Reading but I'm worried I might regret it if by some miracle I do get the grade required for Birmingham! Please help, any advice would be good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aroundincircles)
    I've applied for History & Politics and have offers from all 5 of the Uni's I applied to but I'm really struggling to make a decision! The 2 that I like the most are Reading and Birmingham. Reading have offered me an Unconditional if I Firm them and Birmingham needs 3x A's but I'm only predicted AAB-ABB. I have friends going to Birmingham & I really like it so it would be my first choice especially as it's higher ranked with better long term prospects etc but whilst 3 A's might be possible it will be a big ask so is it worth the risk? Do Birmingham take students that miss their grades ever? Are they likely to have made a lot of Unconditional offers already? I liked Reading but I'm worried I might regret it if by some miracle I do get the grade required for Birmingham! Please help, any advice would be good!
    Don't put Reading down as your firm just because they gave you an unconditional offer. It's simply a marketing tool to get more students to firm a university. Firm your first choice, try and have an insurance with lower grades if possible and if you end up in clearing or resitting and reapplying its not the end of teh world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Don't put Reading down as your firm just because they gave you an unconditional offer. It's simply a marketing tool to get more students to firm a university. Firm your first choice, try and have an insurance with lower grades if possible and if you end up in clearing or resitting and reapplying its not the end of teh world.
    Thanks Jelly, I know what you mean re the marketing tool. Reading would be my second choice regardless of the unconditional but they don't guarantee halls for insurance students so I could end up being there and having to find somewhere to live away from most other 1st years which I'll be really sick about if I pass up the uncondional! It's all such a gamble! I'm guessing that there's no chance of receiving a better offer from Birmingham at this stage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aroundincircles)
    Thanks Jelly, I know what you mean re the marketing tool. Reading would be my second choice regardless of the unconditional but they don't guarantee halls for insurance students so I could end up being there and having to find somewhere to live away from most other 1st years which I'll be really sick about if I pass up the uncondional! It's all such a gamble! I'm guessing that there's no chance of receiving a better offer from Birmingham at this stage?
    Afraid offers are almost always final.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.