The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseafc141
I’m not doing this topic but the papers are on OCR’s website now

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by chelseafc141
Is anyone doing Anglo Saxon and Norman England?

yes!!!!!!!
I'm doing England 1445-1509: Lancastrians, Yorkists and Henry VII.
I am honestly enjoying it very much, must've been the basis of the War of the Roses that intrigued me. Good luck for Wednesday!
Original post by LennyBicknel
Hi all; I did OCR A-Level History last year (Britain 1930-97) and received an A*, so if any of you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them! :smile:

what is your advice on how to approach and structure the essay and source question?
Reply 44
Hi! I want to ask you advice on how you handled the Churchill source questions and what the best way forward is because sometimes they can be really hard.

Thank You!
Does anyone have any predictions for Later Tudors??
Original post by georgiiieee
what is your advice on how to approach and structure the essay and source question?

Hey, sorry for not replying sooner. Here's what I said to someone on my profile:

From what I can remember, I handled the 30 mark source questions by simply taking them one at a time. The structure itself is less important than in the 20 mark question, as the main focus is placed on source analysis. Specifically, you need to explain how the content and the origins of the source relate to the question at end: does what the source say get undermined when considering its origins? Are its origins reliable? Does the content itself provide any insight? Asking yourself these questions throughout - obviously relating back to the question at every opportunity - constitutes the structure.

As for the 20 mark question, it is a fairly standard essay question. Set out your answer to the question clearly at the beginning, dedicating a paragraph to every point afterwards. Remember to always relate what you're saying back to the question, and your argument specifically. If you offer a counter-argument (i.e. say you disagree with the question or statement, you should still go into its points and rationale), you should undermine it, referring to your subsequent points to show why it's weak. Remember to round off the essence of each paragraph in the conclusion.
Reply 47
Original post by Evilstr99
I'm doing England 1445-1509: Lancastrians, Yorkists and Henry VII.
I am honestly enjoying it very much, must've been the basis of the War of the Roses that intrigued me. Good luck for Wednesday!

Im doing that course too! Any predictions on source questions and which kings do you think will come up for the essay section?

Good luck!
Original post by nica.m
Im doing that course too! Any predictions on source questions and which kings do you think will come up for the essay section?

Good luck!

In terms of Source Analysis, the question that came up last year focused on the reasons for the Downfall of Richard, Duke of York. This year, it could be on Jack Cade, the significance of St. Albans, it can be on anything during the period of 1445/1450-1461.
Looking at Judgement Questions, the 2017 Paper asked questions on:
1) Reasons for the fall of Richard III
2) Henry VII's and his treatment of the nobility.
It is highly likely that these questions won't come up this year. I have a hunch that there may be a question on the foreign policy of either Edward IV or Henry VII or maybe even the domestic policies of Edward IV.

So maybe, revise on everything else except the reign of Richard III (though OCR could throw a curveball) but maybe still look at Henry VII and the management of the nobility (again, another curveball but worded differently xD)

Good luck with tomorrow!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 49
For anyone doing Britain 1930-97, is it likely that OCR would give the option between two essay questions from the 'Britain's position in the world 1951-97' section? Last year and on the specimen paper it was one question from that section and one question from another so I'm wondering if anyone thinks the format will be the same this year. I'm hoping not as my teacher never taught us that section and I've only revised about half of it :/
Do we have to answer the questions in order? Or can we start with the last one?
Original post by musicangel
Do we have to answer the questions in order? Or can we start with the last one?

I don't think it's a problem as long as you make it clear which question you're answering.
For Britain 1930-1997 I'm praying for a Heath question as I find him quite easy to write about.
Original post by mary_27
For anyone doing Britain 1930-97, is it likely that OCR would give the option between two essay questions from the 'Britain's position in the world 1951-97' section? Last year and on the specimen paper it was one question from that section and one question from another so I'm wondering if anyone thinks the format will be the same this year. I'm hoping not as my teacher never taught us that section and I've only revised about half of it :/

It's the same scenario with Thatcher and the End of Consensus, appeared both last year and on the specimen. They could do one of three things:

1. Use Conservative Dominance and Labour and Conservative Governments units so as to not repeat the two they've already used
2. Use one of the ones they've already used and one new one
3. Use both ones they've already used

Either way, if you revise 3 topics (I'm doing Conservative Dominance, Labour and Conservative Governments and Britain's Position in the World) at least one of them is bound to come up (I think), so don't worry too much if you haven't got a solid understanding of one of the topics
Reply 53
Original post by Manninagh
It's the same scenario with Thatcher and the End of Consensus, appeared both last year and on the specimen. They could do one of three things:

1. Use Conservative Dominance and Labour and Conservative Governments units so as to not repeat the two they've already used
2. Use one of the ones they've already used and one new one
3. Use both ones they've already used

Either way, if you revise 3 topics (I'm doing Conservative Dominance, Labour and Conservative Governments and Britain's Position in the World) at least one of them is bound to come up (I think), so don't worry too much if you haven't got a solid understanding of one of the topics

Ok thank you- good luck today!
Anyone did Alfred the great, it was very good
No, I did the Wars of the Roses and the reign of Henry VII. I loved it though, I hoped people who sat knew who Richard Neville was xD
For some reason, did you get the same topic for the source question as last year?
Original post by Sadkkunt
For some reason, did you get the same topic for the source question as last year?

Was it the case for you? The Source Question was different, though it was similar in a way. Last year, the source question for 1445-1509 was Who was to blame for the death of Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York.
The question that came up was The role of Richard Neville, the Earl of Warwick on the successes of the Yorkists from 1455-1461.
Original post by Evilstr99
No, I did the Wars of the Roses and the reign of Henry VII. I loved it though, I hoped people who sat knew who Richard Neville was xD

How did you find the sources? I did the Wars of the Roses too- I chose the question on Edward IV as opposed to Henry VII though.
The sources were alright in my opinion, although I found it hard to tell whether or not Source B disagreed with the view or not (It didn't mention Warwick, but the Act of Accord came after Warwick's Invasion of England). I did the question on Edward IV, while normally I'd do any Foreign Policy question but I left that out.

Latest

Trending

Trending