The Student Room Group

Cambridge Senior Physics Challenge Summer School 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JacobPowell
How’s it going? I’ve been concentrating on harder questions and have done about 20 L5/6 questions

How’s it going with questions with less then a month to go? Currently trying to do one level 6 and one level 5 everyday. Got roughly 50 total level 5 and 6s completed now.
Original post by TH001
How’s it going with questions with less then a month to go? Currently trying to do one level 6 and one level 5 everyday. Got roughly 50 total level 5 and 6s completed now.

I’m on about 30 5 and 6, hoping to get this to about 50-60 by end of April. Have you got a roughy 50/50 split maths/physics? Mines about 75/25 physics to maths.
Reply 22
I’m on about 30 5 and 6, hoping to get this to about 50-60 by end of April. Have you got a roughy 50/50 split maths/physics? Mines about 75/25 physics to maths.

My ratio is 75:25 physics maths as well, which I think is the ideal ratio, as it’s shows your mainly focused on physics but can also do a bit of maths. How many 6s do you have, I’ve only got 8 and find them very tough, usually only do 5s.
Original post by TH001
My ratio is 75:25 physics maths as well, which I think is the ideal ratio, as it’s shows your mainly focused on physics but can also do a bit of maths. How many 6s do you have, I’ve only got 8 and find them very tough, usually only do 5s.

Same, I find the 6s really hard... which I guess they’re meant to be. I’ve only done 2 6s compared to 18 5s and 30 4s (+ lots of the irrelevant lower levels). I’ve done all but a few of the circular motion questions because that’s a topic we’ve done in further maths recently and then the rest are statics and dynamics. Particularly for the maths ones, I find getting levels 5/6 questions that are applicable to what I know hard, because much of it requires year 13 content that I haven’t learnt - guess I’ll be self teaching it to myself haha.
Reply 24
Same, I find the 6s really hard... which I guess they’re meant to be. I’ve only done 2 6s compared to 18 5s and 30 4s (+ lots of the irrelevant lower levels). I’ve done all but a few of the circular motion questions because that’s a topic we’ve done in further maths recently and then the rest are statics and dynamics. Particularly for the maths ones, I find getting levels 5/6 questions that are applicable to what I know hard, because much of it requires year 13 content that I haven’t learnt - guess I’ll be self teaching it to myself haha.

I taught myself circular motion and angular motion, and I suggest learning angular motion as most of my level 6s come from that area, and there are quite a few relatively easy ones to do if you understand angular motion.
Original post by TH001
I taught myself circular motion and angular motion, and I suggest learning angular motion as most of my level 6s come from that area, and there are quite a few relatively easy ones to do if you understand angular motion.

Ah okay, I’ll do that. Is angular motion relatively easy to understand?
Reply 26
Ah okay, I’ll do that. Is angular motion relatively easy to understand?

I would say so, I watched the lecture from Walter Lewin on it and then did some level 4s to get accustomed to it, firstly just stick to the basics when learning it I would say though.
Original post by TH001
I would say so, I watched the lecture from Walter Lewin on it and then did some level 4s to get accustomed to it, firstly just stick to the basics when learning it I would say though.

Just done a few L4 angular motion and they’re actually quite fun when you get into them. It’s exciting to learn about new physics that we probably won’t study until university.
Reply 28
Just done a few L4 angular motion and they’re actually quite fun when you get into them. It’s exciting to learn about new physics that we probably won’t study until university.

Yes indeed, tried doing the same for SHM, but apart from a few level 4s, I find it a lot tougher then any of the other mechanics.
Reply 29

Just saw on the Isaac Physics website that they expect a roughly equal distribution of maths and physics problems, when I literally don’t even have a 3:1 physics maths ratio. Do you think it will matter?
I’ve completed about 100 questions, mostly level 3 and 4, and a few 5

Good good, I got invited last year and it was a very nice experience but quite damn difficult (we did 2nd year undergrad quantum mechanics).

I would say keep doing what you are doing but keep a balance between quantity and quality. So try do as many level 1s and 2s and 3s but also do a few 4s 5s and 6s. Also do the challenge questions they set every now and then.
Original post by TH001
Just saw on the Isaac Physics website that they expect a roughly equal distribution of maths and physics problems, when I literally don’t even have a 3:1 physics maths ratio. Do you think it will matter?

Hopefully not, as long as you have at least 3:1 then at least that shows some mathematical competence. I might try and improve my ratio though...

Are many people at your school trying to get on this? I think I’m the only one at mine.
Hopefully not, as long as you have at least 3:1 then at least that shows some mathematical competence. I might try and improve my ratio though...

Are many people at your school trying to get on this? I think I’m the only one at mine.

Don't worry about ratio, just try to do as many as possible.
Original post by Anonymouspsych
Good good, I got invited last year and it was a very nice experience but quite damn difficult (we did 2nd year undergrad quantum mechanics).

I would say keep doing what you are doing but keep a balance between quantity and quality. So try do as many level 1s and 2s and 3s but also do a few 4s 5s and 6s. Also do the challenge questions they set every now and then.

That sounds like an awesome experience, thanks for sharing :smile:

How many level 4/5/6 did you do?
(edited 6 years ago)
That sounds like an awesome experience, thanks for sharing :smile:

How many level 4/5/6 did you do?

I haven't used the site in soooo long haha. I did around 60/40 for physics and maths with the majority being physics. I've done like nearly 800 questions with like 200 of them being lv 4 5 and 6.
Reply 35

Its pretty crazy at mine, a lot are going for it, but I would only say 2 or 3 others are seriously going for it, still pretty competitive though.
Reply 36
I haven't used the site in soooo long haha. I did around 60/40 for physics and maths with the majority being physics. I've done like nearly 800 questions with like 200 of them being lv 4 5 and 6.

800 questions?! How much had you done before the senior physics challenge? And also what did you end up applying for? I’m guessing either natsci or physics right?
Original post by TH001
Its pretty crazy at mine, a lot are going for it, but I would only say 2 or 3 others are seriously going for it, still pretty competitive though.

a lot of SPC people who get into the summer school and later decide to apply to cambridge are often successful :wink:

Wow that’s crazy, I’m not surprised you got invited if you did 800 haha
Wow that’s crazy, I’m not surprised you got invited if you did 800 haha

Its possible! Best of luck to you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest