Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am at a career crossroads. I am currently working as a supervisor in a nursery. I have previously worked as an English teacher in a kindergarten in China. 3 years ago I took a PGCE with early years and QTS. I passed all the written work and first placement with Bs and As, then failed the final placement, leaving me with no qualification. (I do have an unrelated degree 2:1 in Art Therapies) Since then I have been working in nurseries, as my degree is enough for the job in UK private nurseries, but the pay is very low and I do not want to continue doing this job for such low pay.
    So I have been doing some thinking. My original plan was to get a UK teaching qualification, then to go back to Asia, either Hong Kong or the UAE to work and earn a good salary. I have applied for the EYTS. But I do not know if it will be worth the effort and money (£2000 self funded assessment only route).
    I have also been applying for trainee accountant jobs in the UK, with the aim of competing ACCA or ACA in 3-4 years. I know this will (as long as I can get a job and get through the exams) guarantee me a good salary in the UK. But part of me still wants to pursue my dream of working as an early years teacher in Asian countries, as the culture fascinates me, and living and working with people in another country is the most wonderful, immersive experience.
    But I am getting older now, I've hit 30, so I need to seriously start investing in my future and old age, so the travelling teacher may just be a pipe dream. I've done it for a year, and earned ok money but with QTS it would've been much more.
    So my question is, is it worth taking the EYTS? Would it allow me to get a well-paid job in the UAE? I know I can work as an English teacher with my degree and TEFL, so that would allow me to get a job for the experience, but not a good wage. Maybe I should concentrate on training to be an Accountant, a more financially rewarding career, and then, when I am older, go back to Asia and work as an Accountant and maybe tutor part time.
    I just don't know if EYTS is worth doing? It doesn't gain any more pay in UK nurseries than Childcare level 3, but I heard that some people got jobs as teachers in the UAE. I'm just wondering if this would be the same pay in the UAE as a teacher with QTS?

ReputationRep:
    Quite simply no. You are better off doing a QTS course. EYTs are supposed to be at the same level as QTS but will never be paid or respected in the same way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.