Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The vector p has a magnitude 5 and direction due north and the vector q has magnitude 7 and direction on a bearing of 125°
    A) Find the magnitude and direction of vectors p+q and p-2q
    B)the vector p+kq where k is a constant has direction due east. Find the value of the constant k

Okay so I did part A and got p+q to be 5.82 and p-2q to be 17.35

I don't understand how to do part B
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amberinho)
    The vector p has a magnitude 5 and direction due north and the vector q has magnitude 7 and direction on a bearing of 125°
    A) Find the magnitude and direction of vectors p+q and p-2q
    B)the vector p+kq where k is a constant has direction due east. Find the value of the constant k

Okay so I did part A and got p+q to be 5.82 and p-2q to be 17.35

I don't understand how to do part B
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    If it's due East, the j-component (north-south component) will be 0. Write out what the vector p+kq is in terms of k and see what value of k makes the j component 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StayWoke)
    If it's due East, the j-component (north-south component) will be 0. Write out what the vector p+kq is in terms of k and see what value of k makes the j component 0.
    Wait so would it be k=-p/q
    So k=-5/7
    Or have I misunderstood

ReputationRep:
    Wait so would it be k=-p/q
    So k=-5/7
    Or have I misunderstood
    I don't understand what you're doing. Add the vectors p and kq together to get a new vector, which is just in terms of k. You look at the j-component of this vector and see which value of k makes the j-component 0.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you're doing. Add the vectors p and kq together to get a new vector, which is just in terms of k. You look at the j-component of this vector and see which value of k makes the j-component 0.
    I'm really sorry I'm still a little Confused I drew a right angled triangle where the vertical is P=5 and the horizontal is kq =7k
    So 7k^2 +5^2 then square rooted gives the hypotenuse which is root 74k am I right so far

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry I'm still a little Confused I drew a right angled triangle where the vertical is P=5 and the horizontal is kq =7k
    So 7k^2 +5^2 then square rooted gives the hypotenuse which is root 74k am I right so far
    no. What year are you in? Do you know how to add vectors together (without drawing diagrams)?

If you want to make a right angled triangle: Your first vector is P, which is correct, it's 5 units up, but then next vector is kq, whose magnitude is 7k, but you have to make sure you get it's direction right, it's at a 125deg bearing and you have to join P and kq together "tip to tail". With the tail of kq on the tip of P. This makes kq the hypotenus. Your resultant vector (from the tail of P to the tip of kQ) should be a horizontal line (which is the other leg of the right angled triangle)

ReputationRep:
    no. What year are you in? Do you know how to add vectors together (without drawing diagrams)?

If you want to make a right angled triangle: Your first vector is P, which is correct, it's 5 units up, but then next vector is kq, whose magnitude is 7k, but you have to make sure you get it's direction right, it's at a 125deg bearing and you have to join P and kq together "tip to tail". With the tail of kq on the tip of P. This makes kq the hypotenus. Your resultant vector (from the tail of P to the tip of kQ) should be a horizontal line (which is the other leg of the right angled triangle)
    Okay yeah I understand thank you 😊

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.