Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have an offer from Oxford for English - my favorite subject all the way through school. However, I am recently discovering that whilst I love the study of Literature, I derive just as much pleasure from art ( I haven't had the chance to look at its criticism yet though). Whilst I am aware that the English course at Oxford is so broad I could integrate Art History into it, just for the sake of being prepared I thought it was worth finding out how difficult it is to change course. I'm not going to be impulsive about this and right now *my gut still says English*, but how does this thing usually go down if this spike in my interest for art gets higher and continues? Its not a 'I wouldn't enjoy English' situation in anyway. Its just a doubt I may somehow enjoy art history even more ( though this has only cropped up in the last month after looking at illustrations in medieval manuscripts - so torn...)

Thanks for your time!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedboutlife)
    Hi!

I have an offer from Oxford for English - my favorite subject all the way through school. However, I am recently discovering that whilst I love the study of Literature, I derive just as much pleasure from art ( I haven't had the chance to look at its criticism yet though). Whilst I am aware that the English course at Oxford is so broad I could integrate Art History into it, just for the sake of being prepared I thought it was worth finding out how difficult it is to change course. I'm not going to be impulsive about this and right now *my gut still says English*, but how does this thing usually go down if this spike in my interest for art gets higher and continues? Its not a 'I wouldn't enjoy English' situation in anyway. Its just a doubt I may somehow enjoy art history even more ( though this has only cropped up in the last month after looking at illustrations in medieval manuscripts - so torn...)

Thanks for your time!!
    The university offers HoA to only 14 people each year. Imagine had you applied for HoA in the first place and at interview said that your interest was based on a month of looking at some illustrations in medieval manuscripts. But that you hadn't read any art criticism (or - erm - history of art?). Do you think you would have secured an offer?

There are multiple threads on changing courses at Oxford on TSR - a quick search will find them. The main point is that it is a college decision. You could contact the relevant college AT now, or you might broach the question after your first term(s) studying English (there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus). But either way, you will need to demonstrate a strong aptitude and interest in the subject - not just to show that you could do well in the subject, but also because a switch will have a knock-on effect for staff and finances (you might even have to change colleges).

EDIT: I hope that doesn't sound mean. It's great to be curious and to develop new enthusiasms. One of the good things about going to uni is the chance to explore and be encouraged in these things. As you say, you can find ways to do this even if you stick with English

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.