Turn on thread page Beta

What exercise can I do with no money and a bad knee? watch

Basically what the question says: I strained a muscle in my knee a couple weeks ago, it hurts to put weight on (either standing or certain motions - only feels totally pain free propped up on pillows with me lying down) and it's still a while off being fully healed. I have no money to work with and my membership at the leisure centre has run out and I can't afford to renew it to use the pool, and the membership cards have photos or else I'd just borrow a friend's. I would go for a run but my knee is making it impossible. I (stupidly) tried to use the (free) college gym, but I didn't realise that it's mainly just treadmills and exercise bikes. I had a go on the weight set but strength building isn't really my thing...

It's barely approaching three weeks and I already miss my routine and regular exercise. Is there anything I can do? I've been so used to 2 working knees and swimming that I have no clue what I can do instead!

ReputationRep:
    dont strain yourself, it will get worse truss me
    i sprained a ligament in my foot and tried to go for a run on it, wasnt wise
    maybe try some easy Pilates or yoga??

(Original post by YouAreAYute)
    dont strain yourself, it will get worse truss me
    i sprained a ligament in my foot and tried to go for a run on it, wasnt wise
    maybe try some easy Pilates or yoga??
    Hi! Thanks so much for the quick reply! I've thought about yoga, but I couldn't find many positions that didn't strain my knee... (it's my right which is the one that's more dominant (I have no clue what that means tbh I just know when I was a kid doing football the teacher told me to kick it with my right leg lmfao))
    Do you have any suggestions for poses I could try?
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically what the question says: I strained a muscle in my knee a couple weeks ago, it hurts to put weight on (either standing or certain motions - only feels totally pain free propped up on pillows with me lying down) and it's still a while off being fully healed. I have no money to work with and my membership at the leisure centre has run out and I can't afford to renew it to use the pool, and the membership cards have photos or else I'd just borrow a friend's. I would go for a run but my knee is making it impossible. I (stupidly) tried to use the (free) college gym, but I didn't realise that it's mainly just treadmills and exercise bikes. I had a go on the weight set but strength building isn't really my thing...

It's barely approaching three weeks and I already miss my routine and regular exercise. Is there anything I can do? I've been so used to 2 working knees and swimming that I have no clue what I can do instead!
    You're lucky you only strained a muscle. I've known people who permanently buggered their knees by destroying the cartialage through excessive exercise or by jumping and landing awkwardly. I had a nasty case of prepatellar bursitis in the left knee a few months ago from some of the dodgy exercises I was doing. Take very good care of your knees.

You could do certain pilate movements. In depends on what you can actually do with your knees. You can also do certain calisthnics like pullups (or anything involving a bar for that matter) or dips as they put virtually no pressure on the knee. It's probably a good idea to keep the knee active to avoid stiffness and muscular atrophy so consider doing leg extensions. It's a shame your aren't into weights as there's plenty of stuff you could while sitting down.

Have you tried a knee brace? That might aid the healing process and improve your mobility. Might want to get some advice first. Maybe even consider getting physio therapy, you might be able to get it on the NHS if you're eligible

Hope your knee heals soon. Nothing's worse than having you fitness goals impeded by a stupid little injury.

ReputationRep:
    do some low-level exercises like jogging or walking some more. (But if it is that bad then just wait until it is healed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thanks so much for the quick reply! I've thought about yoga, but I couldn't find many positions that didn't strain my knee... (it's my right which is the one that's more dominant (I have no clue what that means tbh I just know when I was a kid doing football the teacher told me to kick it with my right leg lmfao))
    Do you have any suggestions for poses I could try?
    Thanks again!
    ahhh tbh im more of a pilates person, search lottie murphy, i really like her videos and some of them shouldnt seem to strain it too much
    but if you feel like its too much take a rest, it can get worse quickly

(Original post by PhilanderingBum)
    You're lucky you only strained a muscle. I've known people who permanently buggered their knees by destroying the cartialage through excessive exercise or by jumping and landing awkwardly. I had a nasty case of prepatellar bursitis in the left knee a few months ago from some of the dodgy exercises I was doing. Take very good care of your knees.

You could do certain pilate movements. In depends on what you can actually do with your knees. You can also do certain calisthnics like pullups (or anything involving a bar for that matter) or dips as they put virtually no pressure on the knee. It's probably a good idea to keep the knee active to avoid stiffness and muscular atrophy so consider doing leg extensions. It's a shame your aren't into weights as there's plenty of stuff you could while sitting down.

Have you tried a knee brace? That might aid the healing process and improve your mobility. Might want to get some advice first. Maybe even consider getting physio therapy, you might be able to get it on the NHS if you're eligible

Hope your knee heals soon. Nothing's worse than having you fitness goals impeded by a stupid little injury.
    I'm ashamed to say that I hurt my knee literally just kneeling for too long lol (I was taking photos for my media coursework that required kneeling and I was kneeling on a concrete floor for like an hour to get the right shots).
    The pain isn't nearly as bad as it was the day after injury, but it hurts to straighten it or bend it more than about 45 degrees. It's the pain from putting weight/pressure on it that hurts more than anything. And yeah endurance and flexibility is more my wheelhouse than strength training, I'm afraid.
    I've been told to avoid knee braces (and tight clothing but that doesn't seem like it applies so much here) and even if I did apply for physio by the time I got an appointment my knee should be nearly back to normal.
    Thanks. I'm actually a little annoyed by it because I'd been trying so hard to build up my exercise routine to reach my set goals and I got taken down by coursework lol

(Original post by monkeyman0121)
    do some low-level exercises like jogging or walking some more. (But if it is that bad then just wait until it is healed.
    I know I should really just wait it out but it's taking ages and I've set myself some goals that kind of rely on being able to work out, and aside from that I'm going a little stir crazy! Thank you for the suggestion!

(Original post by YouAreAYute)
    ahhh tbh im more of a pilates person, search lottie murphy, i really like her videos and some of them shouldnt seem to strain it too much
    but if you feel like its too much take a rest, it can get worse quickly
    Great! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm ashamed to say that I hurt my knee literally just kneeling for too long lol (I was taking photos for my media coursework that required kneeling and I was kneeling on a concrete floor for like an hour to get the right shots).
    The pain isn't nearly as bad as it was the day after injury, but it hurts to straighten it or bend it more than about 45 degrees. It's the pain from putting weight/pressure on it that hurts more than anything. And yeah endurance and flexibility is more my wheelhouse than strength training, I'm afraid.
    I've been told to avoid knee braces (and tight clothing but that doesn't seem like it applies so much here) and even if I did apply for physio by the time I got an appointment my knee should be nearly back to normal.
    Thanks. I'm actually a little annoyed by it because I'd been trying so hard to build up my exercise routine to reach my set goals and I got taken down by coursework lol

Not reaching those goals temporarily is better than reaching them and maybe having an accident that will stop you from reaching them unti

I know I should really just wait it out but it's taking ages and I've set myself some goals that kind of rely on being able to work out, and aside from that I'm going a little stir crazy! Thank you for the suggestion!

Great! Thank you so much!
    Not reaching those goals temporarily is better than reaching them and maybe having an accident that will stop you from reaching them forever.

Punchbag? I assume you can stand up. If not there isnt really much you can do if you aint into muscle/strength building exercises. I guess you could get yourself a wheelchair and race around on that.

ReputationRep:

Best not to exercise it until you know exactly what has happened inside the knee. It might feel like a strain or sprain but it might be something else like a ligament.

I'd go to my GP, which is free, for a first assessment and then they might send you for a scan. Possibly an mri scan once you've shown them it's got no better by resting it, icing it and elevating it. You might need some physio which is also free on the nhs but can take a while to come through.

You have to be careful with knees.

ReputationRep:

Best not to exercise it until you know exactly what has happened inside the knee. It might feel like a strain or sprain but it might be something else like a ligament or bruised the bone which is really really painful. I'd go to my GP, which is free, for a first assessment and then they might send you for a scan. Possibly an mri scan once you've shown them it's got no better by resting it, icing it and elevating it. You might need some physio which is also free on the nhs but can take a while to come through. You have to be careful with knees.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.