20 mark 3 sources question helpWatch
Unit Y138 Enquiry Topic: The Execution of Charles I and the Interregnum 1646–1660 (The failure to achieve a settlement 1646–1649)
The question is:
using the three sources in their historical context, assess how far they support the view that the levellers were dangerous extremists for their time
I have been taught to structure it:
1. Introduction - around 2 sentences about how you will group the sources (e.g. A and B support, but C does not) - although you do not have to do an introduction as it is not marked
2. Then do a paragraph for each source, doing the agree one(s) next to each other and the disagree one(s) next to each other. For each source you should do:
- Interpretation = what the source is saying and whether it agrees or disagrees with the question
- Evaluation with provenance = who wrote it, when it was written / published, etc ; but making sure that you say how this affects the reliability or how convincing the source is
- Evaluation with own knowledge = links with what said above and is essentially expanding on it (e.g. what the levellers were doing at the time the source was created)
3. Conclusion - overall judgement and which source(s) you thought were most convincing and why.
I hope this helps!