The Student Room Group

Stress and reading?

Hi :smile: I'm currently struggling with really bad stress and anxiety. I'm having panic attacks that are keeping/waking me up at night, I'm permanently on the brink of tears and I'm struggling to cope with my uni work because my stress levels are at such a point that I can't read because my brain is kind of internally screaming and the words are swimming on the page.

I've spoken to my tutor, registered with my on campus counselling however I won't see anyone regarding these issues until the end of April. I have a lot of assignments due in between now and then and in my current state, I'm struggling to do them.

I've tried to calm myself down, break it down into chunks, I've contacted the uni to tell them I'm having difficulties. So in theory there's no reason I shouldn't be able to crack on.

But I'm STILL having difficulties- panicking when I'm trying to work, my brain just going off on one and deciding it's too difficult...ARGH!

Does anyone have experience managing this sort of problem and can suggest some tips or techniques for coping?
Reply 1
Try to meditate? Or take deep breaths. Box breathing might help. Its normal to not be able to focus when youre reading if youre anxious.
You in an assignment jungle, it happens to everyone at University. You are not alone. What helps is to start working on assignment as soon as you get them, this I'm telling you for next time. You get given 3 months to do them before you are expected to submit them, there is a a reason for that, to avoid this anxiety, you are supposed to show your assignment to the tutor/seminar at least 5 times before your final submission checking with him or her if this what they are expecting from the work. Make your assignment as perfect as you can get it before final submission that's why you are showing it to them so many times.

What to do now 1 month to deadline, if you have 3 assignment to write, is go online find out about the topic from wikipedia. The University stressed not to use it but its always my starting point, because at the bottom the writer has used acceptable resources that you can also use in your assignment. READ the topic is written all there. when you have a grasp of the topic area from that it will calm you down. Next.... design what you want to include in your assignment from the assignment brief, what headings they will tell you in the assignment brief, Next...Definitions from core text and key text, merits and demerits again from core text and key texts, what illustrations/diagrams, explanations for diagrams according to theorists/academics journals, research good and bad examples of the subject in practice put it in your assignment with references to where you got everything, submit this draft to your seminar tutor for him or her to check, work according to their guidance or feedback and show again to them.

No time to panic just get on with what I've said, you will be fine. There is a reason you got that place at University and someone else didn't, its because you had the results from your A Levels you have done coursework and exams before this is nothing new. You deserve that place if you have the confidence you will achieve what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest