Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm applying for finance as a migrant worker for the 18-19 year, I have a few questions regarding documentation I need to provide as proof of household income, and being able to apply as an independent student after 1st year.

As of now, my application is as Migrant worker, and I am going to be working part time within a business I have worked for the last 2 years. My first question would be if it is possible to apply as a migrant worker for the 1st year, provide household income documentation from my romanian parents (translated, post sent, original documents) and get maintenance loan + tuition paid for, BUT after the 1st year I would be eligible to apply ans an independent student, as the year 19-20 will be my 3rd year that I have evidence for supporting myself financially. So, my question is can I apply as migrant worker 1 year, and then independent student for the remainder of the course?

2nd question would be regarding the documentation supporting my application throughout the 1st year. From my understanding I will have to provide proof of income from my parents at the start of each term before the funds are released, does this documentation have to be in original? Scans? Translated? how much time do I have at the beginning of each term to get this documentation ready to be sent to SFE?

If anyone here has any experience applying as a migrant worker please do get in touch, I would love to hear how it went for you.

Many thanks <3
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by etnoscope)
    Hello

I'm applying for finance as a migrant worker for the 18-19 year, I have a few questions regarding documentation I need to provide as proof of household income, and being able to apply as an independent student after 1st year.

As of now, my application is as Migrant worker, and I am going to be working part time within a business I have worked for the last 2 years. My first question would be if it is possible to apply as a migrant worker for the 1st year, provide household income documentation from my romanian parents (translated, post sent, original documents) and get maintenance loan + tuition paid for, BUT after the 1st year I would be eligible to apply ans an independent student, as the year 19-20 will be my 3rd year that I have evidence for supporting myself financially. So, my question is can I apply as migrant worker 1 year, and then independent student for the remainder of the course?

2nd question would be regarding the documentation supporting my application throughout the 1st year. From my understanding I will have to provide proof of income from my parents at the start of each term before the funds are released, does this documentation have to be in original? Scans? Translated? how much time do I have at the beginning of each term to get this documentation ready to be sent to SFE?

If anyone here has any experience applying as a migrant worker please do get in touch, I would love to hear how it went for you.

Many thanks <3
    Hi etnoscope,

If it is yourself that is the Migrant Worker, it is only evidence of your own continued employment that is requested at the start of each term.

As you are under 25 years old and dependent on your parents, to be assessed for the higher amount of maintenance loan they will provide their financial information when you make your application.

While you are under 25 years old, your parents will continue to support your application in subsequent years.

To be assessed as under 25 and independent, you would need to be able to provide evidence of self-support for three years, prior to first day, of the first academic year of your course.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi etnoscope,

If it is yourself that is the Migrant Worker, it is only evidence of your own continued employment that is requested at the start of each term.

As you are under 25 years old and dependent on your parents, to be assessed for the higher amount of maintenance loan they will provide their financial information when you make your application.

While you are under 25 years old, your parents will continue to support your application in subsequent years.

To be assessed as under 25 and independent, you would need to be able to provide evidence of self-support for three years, prior to first day, of the first academic year of your course.

Thanks Rona
    so in order for me to be considered as under 25 and independent, I need to have had 3 years of self-support BEFORE I even start the course.
    basically, I've been on my own here supporting myself for 2 years, and this following year would be my 3rd. I wanted to know if my status could change from migrant worker to under 25 and independent, after my 1st academic year.

also just to confirm, my parents do NOT need to provide any evidence/proof of income/employment at the start of each term, it would only be myself who needs to do that?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by etnoscope)
    so in order for me to be considered as under 25 and independent, I need to have had 3 years of self-support BEFORE I even start the course.
    basically, I've been on my own here supporting myself for 2 years, and this following year would be my 3rd. I wanted to know if my status could change from migrant worker to under 25 and independent, after my 1st academic year.

also just to confirm, my parents do NOT need to provide any evidence/proof of income/employment at the start of each term, it would only be myself who needs to do that?
    Hi etnoscope,

That is correct, as it is yourself that is the Migrant Worker, to retain your entitlement as a Migrant Worker you need to continue to work throughout your studies and we ask for evidence of your continued employment at the start of each term before we release your payment.

Your parents only provide their financial information at the beginning of each academic year to assess your entitlement on the household income.

I confirm that to be assessed as independent, you need to show that you have self-supported for three years prior to the first day, of the first academic year of your course not at a later date.

Thanks Rona

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.