Turn on thread page Beta

Will the school fine my parents for low attendance? watch

ReputationRep:
    This year I've been frequently ill and at the moment I have the stomach flu. I'm quite worried about my mum getting fined as the school sent a warning letter a few weeks ago when my attendance was 92%. I think my attendance will be in the 80s now. The school are aware that I'm I'll but they seem to want me in regardless (I threw up in school twice yesterday yet they wouldn't let me go home due to attendance). Is my attendance really that bad to receive these consequences?

P.S I'm in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think school can fine you for attendance that ridiculous but they will refer you to social workers
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

if you’re throwing up then i’m like 90% sure its illegal to not send you home, or at least highly ill-advised. as far as i’m aware, they can get social services involved if they think it’s a dodgy situation, but the school itself can’t fine you and especially not for authorised absenses which illness definitely is. can you get a doctors note? that way they can’t hold anything against you.

you are legally required to be receiving full time education and if you fall below a certain percentage then you no longer fit that category, but frequent illness is an extenuating circumstance and cannot be helped, especially something like stomach flu which is contagious!? yeah i just suggest you try to get a doctors note to put on your file, that way if they do try any legal action you have evidence to prove you’re ill
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.