Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a EU student and planning to study Sports Business or Sports Management as a Master in the UK. I have applied to several universities and already received some offers. Due to social aspects, I Sheffield would be my first choice. On the other hand, prestige and study quality is even more important. Sheffield is on several rankings included for sports studies or sports management, but not as highly ranked as for example Loughborough or Coventry. As every ranking shows different results, I am a bit confused in general.

Does anybody have experience with sports courses in Hallam university? How is it seen in UK, compared to other universities, how are the job perspective afeter graduation?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by lika91)
    Hello,

I am a EU student and planning to study Sports Business or Sports Management as a Master in the UK. I have applied to several universities and already received some offers. Due to social aspects, I Sheffield would be my first choice. On the other hand, prestige and study quality is even more important. Sheffield is on several rankings included for sports studies or sports management, but not as highly ranked as for example Loughborough or Coventry. As every ranking shows different results, I am a bit confused in general.

Does anybody have experience with sports courses in Hallam university? How is it seen in UK, compared to other universities, how are the job perspective afeter graduation?
    Hi lika91

I don't know about Sheffield, but here at Loughborough we're renowned for sport and we have for the 2nd year in a row been ranked as the best university in the world for sports subjects. Our facilities are amazing - so definitely worth a look before you make any decisions.
    Durham and Bath are also really, really good for sport - so have a look at them too.

Vicky
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello,

Hi lika91

Sorry for the late response,

I got in touch with a current sports student here at Hallam and here is her response:

"As a sports student at Hallam, the job prospects are good. Sheffield is a great city for opportunities, particularly within sport. It’s a city home to many world class facilities such as the English Institute of Sport (EIS) and Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, where elite athletes train to compete at the highest levels. This gives students the opportunity to learn and work in these facilities alongside some of the best in the world, an opportunity that isn’t provided at many other universities.

Due to the wide range of facilities in Sheffield, there are then more institutions to provide jobs to graduate students. Loughborough is of course known for being the UK’s no.1 sporting university however it is not a city-based university so the facilities and opportunity to gain knowledge and experience outside of the university campus are very slim in comparison to Sheffield Hallam. Therefore, it won’t be as easy to show good levels of independent learning and development in a job interview, whereas I believe the opportunities are more accessible at Hallam. I personally don’t know a lot about Coventry University in regards to sports courses but there isn’t a reputation for them being one of the best universities for sport in the UK but at the same time there isn’t a noticeably bad reputation.

I think the best advice I could give would be to consider not only the league tables and the content of the course modules but the opportunities for experience external to the university.

Sofie"

Let me know if you have any questions

Reanne
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello,

Hi,

Although I don't study a sports course, I'd just like to add my opinion about league tables/rankings - they aren't everything!

Since coming to university, I've realised the importance of finding a course that suits your personal requirements, needs and wants. Rankings can't tell you how much you're going to enjoy the course or how much you're going to gain from it. My suggestion would be to look at the courses in detail, looking at the modules and the content - these will differ between each university. There might be more focus on practical application at some universities and more theory based learning at others, for example.

How you work best and what you want to gain from the course will affect which university is best for you. At the same time, you enjoying your time at university will positively affect your grade and allow you to have a better experience as a whole!

Bear in mind that for employers (in the UK at least, especially for courses like management and business), work experience and the ability to apply your skills is often more important than qualifications, and is especially more important than having been to a 'better ranking' university.

Also, I've been a student at Sheffield Hallam for almost 3 years now, so if you have any questions about living in Sheffield or coming to uni here then let me know!

Hope this helped,

Ellie

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2018

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 7 Oct '18
  2. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 28 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.