The Student Room Group

Should I inform a new employer My contract was terminated in my last job

Basically in my last job as a retail assistant I was let go of, sacked to put it bluntly. Everything was going fine until they wanted to reduce my hours and I stated that I'd have to quit if my hours were reduced (I was only on a 12 hour contract and got no overtime ever). I should have quit right there and then because they hung onto me for another 2 month and then sacked me in the same week I was going to hand my notice in. Tbh their excuses were feeble and they even made up false accusations e.g. Accidentally bumping into a customers once, leaving the shop floor unattended etc. I was completely professional at all times, never once left the shop floor unattended and I was even blamed for things I hadn't done, like cleaning shelves with the wrong cleaning product and not emptying the bins. They still blamed me until the person who did it actually came forward and said it wasn't her it was me. There was other silly excuses they used as well. So basically to me and my friends who have worked in retail for years; it was unfair dismissal. But hey-Ho.

So my question is on application forms do I have to let them know I was sacked? Or is that for my discretion only? Also if a new employer was to ask what happened in my old job; am I better off saying I quit or that I was let go of and it was unfair dismissal even though I never took Legal action against them (Because it wasn't worth my time to do so). Also because they are my reference (I have no other choice as it was my first job) if a new employer was to contact them, are they allowed to say I was sacked? Really need advice on this matter.
Reply 1
Original post by Musicgirl97
Basically in my last job as a retail assistant I was let go of, sacked to put it bluntly. Everything was going fine until they wanted to reduce my hours and I stated that I'd have to quit if my hours were reduced (I was only on a 12 hour contract and got no overtime ever). I should have quit right there and then because they hung onto me for another 2 month and then sacked me in the same week I was going to hand my notice in. Tbh their excuses were feeble and they even made up false accusations e.g. Accidentally bumping into a customers once, leaving the shop floor unattended etc. I was completely professional at all times, never once left the shop floor unattended and I was even blamed for things I hadn't done, like cleaning shelves with the wrong cleaning product and not emptying the bins. They still blamed me until the person who did it actually came forward and said it wasn't her it was me. There was other silly excuses they used as well. So basically to me and my friends who have worked in retail for years; it was unfair dismissal. But hey-Ho.

So my question is on application forms do I have to let them know I was sacked? Or is that for my discretion only? Also if a new employer was to ask what happened in my old job; am I better off saying I quit or that I was let go of and it was unfair dismissal even though I never took Legal action against them (Because it wasn't worth my time to do so). Also because they are my reference (I have no other choice as it was my first job) if a new employer was to contact them, are they allowed to say I was sacked? Really need advice on this matter.

How long were you employed there for? Really if you don't want them to be contacted your only option is to leave them off the application form all together. This might not be the best idea though, with them being your first employer this could hamper your chance of getting a job as you'd then have no employment history though.

Personally I'd be honest. In the 'reason for leaving' box if there is one I would probably put something like "reduction of hours" and then maybe address it very carefully with just a line or too in your covering letter. Be careful, you don't want to appear to speak negatively about your previous employer. You could say something like 'following a change in the needs of the business, my previous contract of employment was terminated'. Then talk positively about your experiences - working alone in a high pressure environment etc.

If you say you had the job, then you'd need to use them as a reference, especially since they're your only employer. If you don't address the issue then yes your previous employer will almost certainly say that you were sacked in the reference, and you don't want this to shock a prospective employer.

Hope this helped.

Absolutely DO NOT offer the information that you were sacked. Never, ever offer that information.

However, you cannot lie, so do not give any other reason for leaving

On application forms, just ignore the question.

On a reference, yes, they can say you were sacked, and if they think it is material to the next employer to know, they are obliged to say so. You usually would say on a reference if you had sacked someone.

If the new employer asks, do not give any of the reasons/excuses you have given above, just say your hours were reduced and you need to find a job more like this one (ie bring the subject back to the job you are applying for now).

As you note, that is why you should always start applying for new jobs when the relationship deteriorates with your employer, jump before you are pushed and none of these difficult situations arise.
Original post by threeportdrift
Absolutely DO NOT offer the information that you were sacked. Never, ever offer that information.

However, you cannot lie, so do not give any other reason for leaving

On application forms, just ignore the question.

On a reference, yes, they can say you were sacked, and if they think it is material to the next employer to know, they are obliged to say so. You usually would say on a reference if you had sacked someone.

If the new employer asks, do not give any of the reasons/excuses you have given above, just say your hours were reduced and you need to find a job more like this one (ie bring the subject back to the job you are applying for now).

As you note, that is why you should always start applying for new jobs when the relationship deteriorates with your employer, jump before you are pushed and none of these difficult situations arise.

I agree
Thank you so from what I can gather from that advice, it would be best for me to ignore such questions like 'reasons for leaving' on a application form. But if I was asked in an interview, should I just tell them my hours were reduced and such. What about if they don't ask me any questions like that, but I get a job offer and let's just pretend in this scenario my last employer told them my contract was terminated and then during my induction with a new employer they asked why i hadn't informed them of this?
What in that scenario would I say?
In the scenario that I have an interview and the employer asks 'why did you leave your last job?'. I feel like I can either respond in two ways:

1) tell him/her they wanted to reduce my hours, which has lead me to apply for this position.
2) tell him/her that they wanted to reduce my hours, and then they decided a few weeks later to terminate my contract as I made them aware I didn't want my hours reduced.

For me the 2nd option is the whole truth but just put in a more professional way, but what option would you guys choose to tell a new employer during a interview, if they ask that is.
Reply 6
You’ll only need to give them that info if they ask why you left the previous place.
Original post by robbiecee2
You’ll only need to give them that info if they ask why you left the previous place.

Yeah I thought as much, but I think if they ask on an application form Im better off ignoring it, but if they were to ask in person-Then I'm better off just saying they wanted to reduce my hours and then terminated my contract because I'd rather be truthful, just in case my last employer does mention my contract was terminated in a reference.
Reply 8
Yeah I thought as much, but I think if they ask on an application form Im better off ignoring it, but if they were to ask in person-Then I'm better off just saying they wanted to reduce my hours and then terminated my contract because I'd rather be truthful, just in case my last employer does mention my contract was terminated in a reference.

Hi, if they ask for it on an application form and you don’t answer truthfully then if they ever do find out they will be able to fire you without any difficulty, however if you were up front from the start then you’re protected.
Hi, if they ask for it on an application form and you don’t answer truthfully then if they ever do find out they will be able to fire you without any difficulty, however if you were up front from the start then you’re protected.

Except that if you are up front, you are very unlikely to get an interview for an entry level or early career job where there are plenty of other competitive applicants without a dismissal on their record. Hence the best action is to ignore the question completely. Same goes for questions about past salaries. There is no need to give information that will disadvantage yoru application, you just have to be honest about what you do say.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Except that if you are up front, you are very unlikely to get an interview for an entry level or early career job where there are plenty of other competitive applicants without a dismissal on their record. Hence the best action is to ignore the question completely. Same goes for questions about past salaries. There is no need to give information that will disadvantage yoru application, you just have to be honest about what you do say.

It's deceptive to just ignore the question if it is asked on a form, its an obvious attempt at trying to pull the wool over..
It's deceptive to just ignore the question if it is asked on a form, its an obvious attempt at trying to pull the wool over..

No it's not, employers are perfectly well aware what the best practice in recruitment is, and questions about reasons for leaving and salary are entirely there to suit the employer. They know they are chancing it and they know it's perfectly legitimate not to answer.
Reply 12
No it's not, employers are perfectly well aware what the best practice in recruitment is, and questions about reasons for leaving and salary are entirely there to suit the employer. They know they are chancing it and they know it's perfectly legitimate not to answer.

I disagree
I disagree

That's fine, you can reject the OPs application when they apply to a job you are offering.
Reply 14
That's fine, you can reject the OPs application when they apply to a job you are offering.

I wouldn't necessarily reject the application but I would appreciate the honesty.
It feels to me like not disclosing a conviction.
Thank you for the advice but from other Internet forums where similar questions have been asked, some have said never to tell them on a application form that you were fired and some have said to tell them in the interview if you are asked. Personally, I think the best thing for me to do, is maybe answering the question on the application (if asked) by briefly stating my hours were going to be reduced. Which is pretty much the truth of the matter. However if I'm asked again in the interview I will have to be fully truthful and tell them that my employer had a discussion about reducing my hours and that wasn't goin to be suitable for me, so me and my manager came to a mutual agreement and I was let go of. Because there is no other way I can explain it and I don't want to hinder my chances of getting the position and although in essence I was unfairly dismissed I would never drag my employers name into the dirt. Ever!
Having said all this I know of a few friends that were sacked and they've had a lot of jobs since then and they've never once told a new employer they were sacked. They've told them anything but that. As in they've Told them they quit because of X and Y.
yes. I think you should tell them if they wanted to know. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending