Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically I'm a final year student. I'm doing a final year project dissertation, and my supervisor has been on strike for the past 4 weeks, and hasn't wanted to reschedule the weekly meetings we were supposed to have. 4 out of the 11 teaching weeks of the semester is a lot, considering that 3 of these teaching weeks will also be after the deadline (meaning it's essentially missing 4 out of 8 - so half!)

Seeing as there are other students who are getting full support each week, do you think there's much ground to claim for "mitigating circumstances"? It seems unfair that I'm missing out on essential guidance, when everyone else is getting theirs, and as such we are being marked the same.

Thanks!

(Side note: before anyone gives me the speeches, I do 100% support the cause that lecturers are striking for, and would do the same if I was in their shoes- but it's still negatively impacting students).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by AnAverageDude)
    Hi,

Basically I'm a final year student. I'm doing a final year project dissertation, and my supervisor has been on strike for the past 4 weeks, and hasn't wanted to reschedule the weekly meetings we were supposed to have. 4 out of the 11 teaching weeks of the semester is a lot, considering that 3 of these teaching weeks will also be after the deadline (meaning it's essentially missing 4 out of 8 - so half!)

Seeing as there are other students who are getting full support each week, do you think there's much ground to claim for "mitigating circumstances"? It seems unfair that I'm missing out on essential guidance, when everyone else is getting theirs, and as such we are being marked the same.

Thanks!

(Side note: before anyone gives me the speeches, I do 100% support the cause that lecturers are striking for, and would do the same if I was in their shoes- but it's still negatively impacting students).
    Yes I would definitely an extenuating/ mitigating circumstances claim. Nothing to lose, especially as you say others have had more assistance. They should at least take that into account. Some supervisors are a bit rubbish anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Depends on Uni policy, in mine it isn't. Which means in mine the exams, coursework and dissertation for third years is all as it would be. Fun times.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.