Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is taking a language better than math ? 🤔 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am quite bad in math and been struggling so m thinking to drop it and do a language insted and m planning to take urdu since thats my mothertongue (which m ok at), but m kinda aftaid. will the universities in uk accept it ? or should i stick to math ? and m studying privately so m unsure about the recourses and the books, where do i find them ?
    M PLANNING TO DO MEDICINE IN FUTURE!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by saxmra)
    I am quite bad in math and been struggling so m thinking to drop it and do a language insted and m planning to take urdu since thats my mothertongue (which m ok at), but m kinda aftaid. will the universities in uk accept it ? or should i stick to math ? and m studying privately so m unsure about the recourses and the books, where do i find them ?
    Some universities will disregard an A-level (or equivalent) in your native language. Check the entry requirements at specific universities you are considering.

What are your other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they will.

Take Bio, chem and something else

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Some universities will disregard an A-level (or equivalent) in your native language. Check the entry requirements at specific universities you are considering.

What are your other subjects?
    chemistry and biology

ReputationRep:
    I am doing those 2 subjects

ReputationRep:
    chemistry and biology
    There must be another subject you could consider. If you really are bad at maths then there's no point if you don't think you're capable of getting an A.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    chemistry and biology
    Ok that's good. Maths isn't required. As I said, check the requirements, but maybe consider a different 3rd subject.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I am doing those 2 subjects
    PS. I have moved your question to the Medicine forum.

ReputationRep:
    No... Especially not for medicine. Medical schools are very choosey when it comes to academic qualifications. They won't accept an A-Level in your native language. Take Urdu AS-Level and A-Level Maths. Oh and don't take Further Maths because med schools don't see it as an extra A-Level.

Hate Maths? No biggie. Take a humanities/essay subject instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    No... Especially not for medicine. Medical schools are very choosey when it comes to academic qualifications. They won't accept an A-Level in your native language. Take Urdu AS-Level and A-Level Maths. Oh and don't take Further Maths because med schools don't see it as an extra A-Level.

Hate Maths? No biggie. Take a humanities/essay subject instead.
    language comes under humanities
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    language comes under humanities
    Not necessarily if it's your mother tongue.

Bristol for example say it's fine, but others may not - you need to check!

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...ualifications/
    • Native languages. We will accept a native language A-level as one of your A-level subjects.

Whereas UCL:
    Do A-levels in my native language count towards the A-level requirement?

An A-level in an applicant’s native language (other than English) is unlikely to be included in offer conditions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.