Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Worried my Attendance Will Effect Job Prospects?? watch

Currently a final year university Student on track for a 2:1 in social sciences honours degree.
    The past year (final year) I’ve had awful attendance (below 50%) for my final terms because I had terrible personal circumstances that meant I had to move out of my Student home (I nearly dropped out). The university and all the staff knew of this (myself and my parents kept them informed) and they aided me by allowing me to do distance learning. I would come in once every few weeks if I really needed to.
    I was very active on emailing my lecturers and always did the work at home and made sure I received feedback over email/phone so I knew how I was doing.
    I’m due to graduate in 2 months but I’m worried potential employers see attendance? My engagement status within University is good because I go on my course website and email everyday, always sign into library log ins via journal websites etc, so they can see I’m doing the work and using resources.
    My first 2 years I had really good attendance too anyway and have always achieved 2:1s or 1st’s.
    My tutor said that the staff can vouch for me if my attendance ever got flagged up because it would get registered under “accentuated circumstances” and not just seen as laziness etc.

But I’m still constantly worrying that it’ll just be disregarded by an employer who might not understand what I went through in my final year.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.