Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering what other A level I should choose to become a structural engineer and don't say art as it's not really needed. Also anything not too hard because I have the stress of physics and maths but then again not too easy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Further Maths is probably the most useful, and provided you're good at Maths (and Physics, if you take the mechanics options - which would be advisable if you can) it shouldn't be much work (most taking Maths and FM indicate it qualitatively seems less "work" than 2 full separate A-level options).

Generally as structural engineering is ostensibly a branch of civil engineering, Geography may be an option. Civil engineering more broadly contends with both the physical elements in some regard (soil mechanics, engineering geology, various other environmental aspects including crucially water sources and engineering and some considerations of climate) and the social/human geography side (zoning, transport engineering inc traffic considerations, various similar things).

On the more environmental engineering side of civil engineering (which is more divorced from structural engineering) chemistry or biology are both relevant. Economics or (less desirably) Business Studies are applicable as project management and aspects of company finance are present in all branches of engineering. Computer Science could be useful as you will inevitably be using computing extensively and may well need to do some of your own coding (in MATLAB or similar - language is irrelevant though as fundamental programming principles are the main draw) in the process of working as a structural engineer (this is generally true of most areas of engineering for that matter).

However Further Maths would be, by far and away, the best option - for virtually all branches of engineering, not just structural (but structural especially benefits from this more than the others I would argue).

ReputationRep:
    Either further maths or chemistry in my opinion
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Walker16)
    Was just wondering what other A level I should choose to become a structural engineer and don't say art as it's not really needed. Also anything not too hard because I have the stress of physics and maths but then again not too easy.
    See this link for some advice on A-levels:

https://www.ice.org.uk/what-is-civil...tional-options

Given that you have maths and physics, something like geology or geography might be useful. Note that to become a structural engineer you will typically need a degree in civil engineering (although, depending on what type of structures you want to design, aero/mechanical might also be suitable - but the majority of structural engineers in things like buildings, bridges etc. are going to have civil degrees).

ReputationRep:
    I also think Geology might be useful (if your school offers it). I am doing A-levels in Physics, Maths and Geology. I really enjoy them all. Physics in particular links in nicely with both Maths and Geology. Regarding links to structural engineering in AS/ year 1 we covered Global Tectonics and Rocks and in A2/ year 2 Geology we have studied a module called 'Engineering Geology'. This module brought everything we had previously covered together nicely and showed the importance of Geology in different types of Engineering projects including dams and reservoirs; tunnelling; coastal erosion, flooding and defences; road construction etc.

ReputationRep:
    maybe a language... it will help your career if you can communicate with foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walker16)
    You could look at Design Technology or Chemistry or anything else you enjoy.

I wouldn't suggest F Maths [and I teach it and love Maths] in case you change your mind and want to take a slightly different path.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.