The Agents Of CHANGE / Changing work day from 9am-5pm to 11am-7pm?

Watch
Poll: Change the Standard 9:00 to 5:00 to the New 11:00 to 7:00 ?
Keep the status quo - 9:00 to 5:00 (8)
72.73%
Change ! - make it 11:00 to 7:00 (3)
27.27%
Vlad83
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am seeking votes on my proposal.

Change the standard "official" daily working hours from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm to 11:00 am to 7:00 pm.

I suggest that the BENEFITS of that would / could be :

- People would get more sleeping hours in the morning, therefore possibly contributing to preserving your health or even making your health stronger - by allowing you to sleep not less but more;

- This could potentially leave a "wider" space in time between when a person wakes up and when they leave to go to work or elsewhere, therefore :

a. People could avoid / could be less compelled to hurry in the mornings ;
b. It would give them more time for their morning routine ;
c. It could give them more quality time for breakfast, without being pushed to hurry with it, or skip breakfast completely etc - therefore, again, contributing to preseving your health ;
d. Because of a potentially bigger space in time between waking up and going to work etc, this could allow people to actually do or complete some of their own personal things or business etc in the morning - BEFORE leaving home and going to work.

- If a person has slept more, they could be less tired at work (and generally) as a result, therefore potentially boosting their performance and effectiveness at work AND, possibly, making the working or daily pressures less of a strain for a person.

- There could be this scenario sometimes: someone goes out in the evening to shop etc - their local shop is closed. Out of hours !
With the prolonging of the working hours on the "finishing" end - from the conventional 5:00 to the new 7:00 - we get a solution to this situation.
(By the way, if the stores are open for MORE hours in general, this will of course, at least potentially, increase the profits of the businesses - but this is a separate story).

That is the case for the new schedule.
There should not really be any significant harm or loss to the economy resulting from shifting the "normal" timetable by two hours forward.

I am not at all sure how the conventional 9:00 to 5:00 pattern came to be. And it is not as if people would necessarily go to sleep at 8 in the evening (no offence) - therefore I would say finishing the working day at 19:00 could be acceptable.

Neither am I sure why the working day came to be, or has to be, 8 hours long. Why not 7 hours ? Or why not 9 hours then ? This is unclear.
However, the 11:00 - 7:00 schedule does accommodate the standard 8 hour time slot.

If it was ME who was setting the ideal working hours to suit myself, I would - possibly - create the 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm working day - if we are to accommodate the above mentioned 8 hour slot.
However, apparently this would be considered, by a majority of people, as too extreme. Because, they would say, 11 pm is way too late to finish work. And everything that follows from there ...
To compromise then, I would more realistically suggest a 12:00 - 8:00 pattern - but, to start with, one would settle for 11 am to 7 pm as being, though not ideal, but good enough.

Everyone is welcomed to vote in the attached poll.

Thank you to all for voting and / or contributing and taking part.
Vlad83
Rep:
?
The poll is open for voting !
Vlad83
Rep:
?
Let's give the poll more votes !
Vlad83
Rep:
?
Keep the same working hours - or change them ?..
Vlad83
Rep:
?
Everyone can contribute on this !
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nah, I'm at gigs before 7pm and **** taking holidays every time a band is on.
Vlad83
Rep:
?
Any more votes ?
Vlad83
Rep:
?
This is for CHANGING the established routine; this is for PRACTICALLY ADOPTING a more perfect arrangement !
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like to finish in the late afternoon because I can continue to go about my day as it's not yet over
Vlad83
Rep:
?
Change the ''official'' working hours ? Will you be voting for the benefits of the new working regime ?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its a nice proposal and works well for teenagers to those in their early 20s. But for me, I would like the working day to be 6am to 2pm. So why not encourage businesses to be more flexible and allow people to work the hours that suit them and use management techniques to hold them to account on the work they deliver, rather than the current rather archaic method which dictates people must be in the office therefore they must be working productively.
Vlad83
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Its a nice proposal and works well for teenagers to those in their early 20s. But for me, I would like the working day to be 6am to 2pm. So why not encourage businesses to be more flexible and allow people to work the hours that suit them and use management techniques to hold them to account on the work they deliver, rather than the current rather archaic method which dictates people must be in the office therefore they must be working productively.
Actually, my plan might work effectively for people of other age groups too. Your plan is good, and could lead to a change and has a potential to CHANGE things, to do something DIFFERENTLY. Your method might result in more effectiveness in the work of an individual.
soft boy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In six months you have acquired 2 votes.
Vlad83
Rep:
?
(Original post by soft boy)
In six months you have acquired 2 votes.
Yes. That's right ! But the thread was OUTSIDE the chat topic boards here for like .. since March and until August or September. And ... later or in future there might be more or many more votes - and the votes for a CHANGE to the established working schedule !
MrControversial
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is something I have regularly brought up. It's also proof that people are idiotic. You have office jobs where exact time doesn't matter but you still have everyone cramming into the train to get in at 9. Some companies are smart enough to give a range of 7 to 11 for coming in. If that were citywide it would take a little of the edge of the trains.
Vlad83
Rep:
?
Is the new working pattern suitable ? The poll is here to vote !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (259)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (199)
43.45%

Watched Threads