Turn on thread page Beta

The Agents Of CHANGE watch

• View Poll Results: Change the Standard 9:00 to 5:00 to the New 11:00 to 7:00 ?
    Keep the status quo - 9:00 to 5:00
    0%
    Change ! - make it 11:00 to 7:00
    100.00%

ReputationRep:
    I am seeking votes on my proposal.

Change the standard "official" daily working hours from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm to 11:00 am to 7:00 pm.

I suggest that the BENEFITS of that would / could be :

- People would get more sleeping hours in the morning, therefore possibly contributing to preserving your health or even making your health stronger - by allowing you to sleep not less but more;

- This could potentially leave a "wider" space in time between when a person wakes up and when they leave to go to work or elsewhere, therefore :

a. People could avoid / could be less compelled to hurry in the mornings ;
    b. It would give them more time for their morning routine ;
    c. It could give them more quality time for breakfast, without being pushed to hurry with it, or skip breakfast completely etc - therefore, again, contributing to preseving your health ;
    d. Because of a potentially bigger space in time between waking up and going to work etc, this could allow people to actually do or complete some of their own personal things or business etc in the morning - BEFORE leaving home and going to work.

- If a person has slept more, they could be less tired at work (and generally) as a result, therefore potentially boosting their performance and effectiveness at work AND, possibly, making the working or daily pressures less of a strain for a person.

- There could be this scenario sometimes: someone goes out in the evening to shop etc - their local shop is closed. Out of hours !
    With the prolonging of the working hours on the "finishing" end - from the conventional 5:00 to the new 7:00 - we get a solution to this situation.
    (By the way, if the stores are open for MORE hours in general, this will of course, at least potentially, increase the profits of the businesses - but this is a separate story).

That is the case for the new schedule.
    There should not really be any significant harm or loss to the economy resulting from shifting the "normal" timetable by two hours forward.

I am not at all sure how the conventional 9:00 to 5:00 pattern came to be. And it is not as if people would necessarily go to sleep at 8 in the evening (no offence) - therefore I would say finishing the working day at 19:00 could be acceptable.

Neither am I sure why the working day came to be, or has to be, 8 hours long. Why not 7 hours ? Or why not 9 hours then ? This is unclear.
    However, the 11:00 - 7:00 schedule does accommodate the standard 8 hour time slot.

If it was ME who was setting the ideal working hours to suit myself, I would - possibly - create the 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm working day - if we are to accommodate the above mentioned 8 hour slot.
    However, apparently this would be considered, by a majority of people, as too extreme. Because, they would say, 11 pm is way too late to finish work. And everything that follows from there ...
    To compromise then, I would more realistically suggest a 12:00 - 8:00 pattern - but, to start with, one would settle for 11 am to 7 pm as being, though not ideal, but good enough.

Everyone is welcomed to vote in the attached poll.

Thank you to all for voting and / or contributing and taking part.

ReputationRep:
    The poll is open for voting !

ReputationRep:
    Let's give the poll more votes !

ReputationRep:
    Keep the same working hours - or change them ?..

ReputationRep:
    Everyone can contribute on this !

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'm at gigs before 7pm and **** taking holidays every time a band is on.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.