The Student Room Group

Why do people laugh at me for no reason?

I'm an 18 year old sixth former, and people randomly laugh at me for no reason, and I'm getting quite fed up with it. Either they'll laugh at me, or they'll stare at me as if I'm some sort of alien. It's particular the younger ones (both younger than me and elder than me), that decide to laugh at me.

Like, last week, I was just cycling towards the bus station, simply trying to get to school, and this group of 24(ish) year olds started laughing at me, as if what I'm doing is so funny. Maybe it is a tad unusual for an adult male to be using a bike to get to the bus station, I don't know. I'm just trying to get to school and these people think it's hilarious. Why can't these group of "lads" continue on their way without shouting and laughing at me, in front of the general public nevertheless? It hurts. And like when I just pop into the shop to grab a drink for lunch or something, people stare at me as if I'm about to commit a crime.

I'm a mature, polite and fairly average-looking guy, who's doing his own thing. I can't understand what it is that makes people want to laugh or stare at me. I just want to be treated as a regular human being. I'm not trying to cure cancer or anything. Is that too much to ask?

Oh, and when I got out of my car one time (only drive my car occasionally as I can't afford it), this group of guys in their 20s burst of laughing (in the car park). I just don't understand it. When I say laughing, I mean as in 'making fun/a mockery' out of me.

Also, it happens when I'm using public transport. People stare at me when I'm on the bus, before most people of my age are up and about (at like 6AM ish - Or rather, when it's uncommon to see a person who looks my age to be out at this time). It's not even discrete, it's blatant. Like, can't you just mind your own business and ignore someone who's just trying to get somewhere without wanting unneeded attention?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's probably nothing just you being paranoid. I'm sure it's fine 🤙
Reply 2
Original post by dontrevisefail
It's probably nothing just you being paranoid. I'm sure it's fine 🤙

I'm not paranoid though. It's blatant and it's obvious. And it hasn't happened just once or twice.
Original post by John99321
I'm an 18 year old sixth former, and people randomly laugh at me for no reason, and I'm getting quite fed up with it. Either they'll laugh at me, or they'll stare at me as if I'm some sort of alien. It's particular the younger ones (both younger than me and elder than me), that decide to laugh at me.

Like, last week, I was just cycling towards the bus station, simply trying to get to school, and this group of 24(ish) year olds started laughing at me, as if what I'm doing is so funny. Maybe it is a tad unusual for an adult male to be using a bike to get to the bus station, I don't know. I'm just trying to get to school and these people think it's hilarious. Why can't these group of "lads" continue on their way without shouting and laughing at me, in front of the general public nevertheless? It hurts. And like when I just pop into the shop to grab a drink for lunch or something, people stare at me as if I'm about to commit a crime.

I'm a mature, polite and fairly average-looking guy, who's doing his own thing. I can't understand what it is that makes people want to laugh or stare at me. I just want to be treated as a regular human being. I'm not trying to cure cancer or anything. Is that too much to ask?

Oh, and when I got out of my car one time (only drive my car occasionally as I can't afford it), this group of guys in their 20s burst of laughing (in the car park). I just don't understand it. When I say laughing, I mean as in 'making fun/a mockery' out of me.

Also, it happens when I'm using public transport. People stare at me when I'm on the bus, before most people of my age are up and about (at like 6AM ish - Or rather, when it's uncommon to see a person who looks my age to be out at this time). It's not even discrete, it's blatant. Like, can't you just mind your own business and ignore someone who's just trying to get somewhere without wanting unneeded attention?

You might look like someone famous
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr_Robot
You might look like someone famous

Yeah, 0 chance of that unfortunately :/
Reply 5
Bump...

I don't understand why people would randomly laugh at you as that is just rude and petty. But don't take it to heart just be the bigger classier person and walk away, don't worry about it.
I have the same exact problem and im 19 year old female im normal..my attitude is normal and im good to everyone and also all the people see me as a pretty girl, but the problem all the people laugh at me i dont know WHY i swear im fed up with it. Its killing me inside and im starting to feel that im a different human being or maybe there is a huge flaw in me that i dont know about. I start asking people whats in me and they say nothing your normal but too bad the process continues..i want to live a normal life, i want to go into the places that i desire in a very confident way without being judged or laughed at..
Original post by Diana haddaf
I have the same exact problem and im 19 year old female im normal..my attitude is normal and im good to everyone and also all the people see me as a pretty girl, but the problem all the people laugh at me i dont know WHY i swear im fed up with it. Its killing me inside and im starting to feel that im a different human being or maybe there is a huge flaw in me that i dont know about. I start asking people whats in me and they say nothing your normal but too bad the process continues..i want to live a normal life, i want to go into the places that i desire in a very confident way without being judged or laughed at..

Thats very strange if you say youre pretty then idk what would make people laugh at you at first sigh, maybe the clothes u wear? The makeup? Are u clumsy?
*******s are everywhere especially at school. Ignore and move on, I know it's difficult to do but you've to seriously master that skill of not giving a **** or else you will be in trouble.
Reply 10

Are you ugly? No confidence? Unusual dress sense? And why call them 'ughh these groups of lads', do you feel superior because you are a mAtUrE 18 yEar Old?

edit: why are you biches resurrecting old threads?! Lmao.
I can't see why anyone/group would randomly laugh at someone who is minding their business in a normal manner.

I would assume youre just being paranoid but since you say that's not the case it could be something else..

Do you walk or cycle funny? Do you wear anything that might make you standout? Do you have any abnormalities in your appearance or personality?

Even if you do have any of the above, who cares. If they are blatantly laughing at you, just do a loud, over the top laugh back.

The point is that you shouldn't care.
It sounds like classic social anxiety to me. I experience that too - I think that every time someone laughs, they’re laughing at me. I’ve become better at rationalising now, but I still think people are judging me and talking about me.

It’s natural to look at other people in public transport. If you stare at someone else because you think they’re looking at you, then they’ll stare back at you. It’s all a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I'm in the same boat as you my friend and I've even approached people who I thought were laughing at me and it turns out they were joking with each other, just ignore it man and live your life. It still happens to me but I just ignore it and continue on, it could be haters man
Sounds like you need to ask your GP about cognitive behavioural therapy.
Reply 15
Same thing happens with me always. Btw m a male n i look pretty average like all normal guys. Bt still this thing happens with me.
People do whack stuff to fine entertainment and laugh at you because they are sick in the head and have no life and cant find amusement in anything else but makes fun of others. People are rude and crude. Jealous because your free and they are a prisoner to their car payment. Alot of people laugh at me and give me dirty looks its just jealousy of their own insecurity..
Reply 17
You probably look somewhat unusual

It's the most logical explanation.
People can be really horrid at times. But you're better than them. Just ignore them. They probably have some problem that they seem to feel the need to stare at you constantly and laugh. If you're the confident kind of person you should just politely ask next time "Excuse me, what is it that you find so funny?" Ofcourse do not be rude because then theres no difference between you and them but just ask politely. That's what I would do.
But if you're not confident don't worry about it, people will sometimes be horrid and sadly that's out of our control. Theres nothing wrong with you, you just continue to be you:smile:

I have experienced this and still do as I'm a Muslim and wear a headscarf and I get people staring at me, flaring their nostrils, not wanting to sit next to me on public transport. But honestly i take it as a pinch of salt. If they don't sit next to me on public transport then great it means I have more leg room!
A few days back I got asked by a stranger whether I'm "oppressed" because I wear a headscarf! I mean it's not the 1980's that we're going to be oppressed!!
I didnt think she was being rude she just simply asked so I replied and said " NO, i'm far from oppressed, wearing a headscarf for me is an empowerment: I'm able to go out in public and represent my religion. My headscarf is my identity, it's MY choice! Noone forces me, I'm happy wearing my headscarf so i wear it!" :smile:
Of course I wasnt rude to her I just made her understand that wearing a headscarf is not oppression.

So back to your situation, your definitely not alone people seem to get started at and laughed at (and at times much worse) but you just be you, do not change for anyone. You are your own person:smile:

Hope this helps a little:smile:
I believe you because it happens to me I believe personally there feeding off your reactions they can sense your annoyed , I've been there and I'm training myself and my mind to not care it's a long process though retraining how you react emotionally . People can sense if someone feels uneasy and anxious and they see it as an opportunity to bring someone else down in order to make themself feel better

Latest