The Student Room Group

How long will it take to self study Triple Science?

I am currently in Y12, doing 3 A levels+retaking Maths to get a higher grade, however, I wish to change my A levels and do 4 different ones due to my Degree choice changing.
So as opposed to wasting the year, I realised, that I need a couple GCSES with A and A* in order to have a competitive application to the top RG universities. I am aiming for 4 A* at A levels, and I am willing to put the effort required, however, I feel like me not having Bs and Cs will hold me back. So I decided I am going to try getting A OR A* in Triple Sciences and Maths.
With only 2 months until exams, is It achievable if I do 4-5 hours a day (or more), if not can I take a Biology exam separately and do the other two sciences next year, or will I have to do all 3 in the same period? Also, do science exams take place in May/June, or can you take them in November and January like with Maths and English? Last question, (Sorry) I know that you apply to universities in November/October, therefore, if I was to take GCSES during a gap year, then I won’t have the GCSES when applying, so my application won’t be competitive, is there any way around this? Like I could let them know in advance.
Sorry about the overload of questions, its just, these questions have formed a paradox and I need advice, thanks!
Firstly - do you have somewhere to take the science GCSEs? You have to complete the required practicals in order to pass (the exam centre has to sign to say you have done them, even thought they don't count towards your mark). It is almost impossible to find a centre to do this. The alternative is to look at IGCSE exams. They are offered by Edexcel and Cambridge (also referred to as CIE) but again you will need to find an exam centre to take them at - different centres offer different exam boards so you will need to sort that out before you start studying

Secondly you may be too late to enter this year - or you may find a centre which will enter you but there will be quite a hefty late fee.

As to how realistic it might be to study for 3 science GCSEs in such a short space of time - I think you might struggle as the new GCSEs have more content than the old ones. However, it depends how hard you are prepared to work! And how much science you know in the first place.

To answer some of your other questions - you can take the 3 individual sciences separately (i.e. biology, chemistry and physics). The other options might be to take a double science award (i.e. a bit of each science, worth 2 GCSEs). You can only take GCSEs in the summer, but you can take IGCSEs in November (CIE) and January (Edexcel) although you need to check the specific subjects you want to take. Also bear in mind that I think the Edexcel sciences may be changing to a new spec after this summer, so I don't know whether the January will be the old spec or the new one. Look on the exam board website to find out.

You might be better to wait for exam results before you apply to uni. If you are thinking of taking a gap year, you could just apply a year later than originally planned.But if you are planning on taking the extra GCSEs whilst you wait to start new A levels you will have the results of the GCSEs when you apply anyway.

Hope that helps
Reply 2
Original post by 2childmum
Firstly - do you have somewhere to take the science GCSEs? You have to complete the required practicals in order to pass (the exam centre has to sign to say you have done them, even thought they don't count towards your mark). It is almost impossible to find a centre to do this. The alternative is to look at IGCSE exams. They are offered by Edexcel and Cambridge (also referred to as CIE) but again you will need to find an exam centre to take them at - different centres offer different exam boards so you will need to sort that out before you start studying

Secondly you may be too late to enter this year - or you may find a centre which will enter you but there will be quite a hefty late fee.

As to how realistic it might be to study for 3 science GCSEs in such a short space of time - I think you might struggle as the new GCSEs have more content than the old ones. However, it depends how hard you are prepared to work! And how much science you know in the first place.

To answer some of your other questions - you can take the 3 individual sciences separately (i.e. biology, chemistry and physics). The other options might be to take a double science award (i.e. a bit of each science, worth 2 GCSEs). You can only take GCSEs in the summer, but you can take IGCSEs in November (CIE) and January (Edexcel) although you need to check the specific subjects you want to take. Also bear in mind that I think the Edexcel sciences may be changing to a new spec after this summer, so I don't know whether the January will be the old spec or the new one. Look on the exam board website to find out.

You might be better to wait for exam results before you apply to uni. If you are thinking of taking a gap year, you could just apply a year later than originally planned.But if you are planning on taking the extra GCSEs whilst you wait to start new A levels you will have the results of the GCSEs when you apply anyway.

Hope that helps

Thank you for the reply! I think I will take a look at the IGCSES or might just take them during a gap year.
Reply 3

Hope that helps

Sorry, I have two more points I would like to clarify, if I choose to take the Sciences separately as triple, then will all the exams have to be taken during the same period? For instance, can I just take GCSE biology and not bother with the other two or take them at a later date? Another point is that, I am in Sixth Form, so would Sixth forms consider entering candidates without taking the practical? And how important is the practical?
You can take the sciences individually - so you could just do Biology, or just Chemistry.

You cannot take the GCSE without doing the practicals. The exam centre has to sign to say you have done them all - and there are a lot of them so you can't just fit them into one day. Without them you don't get the GCSE. No exam centre will enter you without you doing the practicals.

IGCSEs are different - there are questions in the exams about practicals but you don't have to do them. That's why private candidates (i.e. those entering themselves) do IGCSEs rather than GCSEs

(And for info - for A level there are practicals you have to do and pass so that you get a 'practical endorsement' on your certificate. You can still take the papers without the practical endorsement part, but universities (and possibly science based jobs) all stipulate that you must have the practical endorsement part)

Have you spoken to your sixth form about any of this?

And bear in mind that you will have to pay to take the exams, and that can be rather expensive depending on where you are.
Reply 5
You can take the sciences individually - so you could just do Biology, or just Chemistry.

You cannot take the GCSE without doing the practicals. The exam centre has to sign to say you have done them all - and there are a lot of them so you can't just fit them into one day. Without them you don't get the GCSE. No exam centre will enter you without you doing the practicals.

IGCSEs are different - there are questions in the exams about practicals but you don't have to do them. That's why private candidates (i.e. those entering themselves) do IGCSEs rather than GCSEs

(And for info - for A level there are practicals you have to do and pass so that you get a 'practical endorsement' on your certificate. You can still take the papers without the practical endorsement part, but universities (and possibly science based jobs) all stipulate that you must have the practical endorsement part)

Have you spoken to your sixth form about any of this?

And bear in mind that you will have to pay to take the exams, and that can be rather expensive depending on where you are.

Ah ok, Thanks for the advice! The fact that IGCSES can be taken in January and November is helpful as I won't have to do the Sciences alongside my A levels.
Reply 6
I've heard somewhere that RG universities like you to have done all your GCSEs at the same time - I was discouraged from doing them early for this reason. Not sure if it is the same doing them later, I would contact the universities you want to apply to about their admissions policy regarding this.

Quick Reply

Latest