The Student Room Group

Fear of leaving my family

In September I am supposed to be moving out and going to university that is about an hour from our home the problem is I am nervous about leaving my parents, I have two older brothers who both went to university but when they went it was all okay because I was home to look after my mother(she has some medical condition but nothing major I am just worried about leaving her alone all the time especially considering she doesn’t work) I am also worried about my dad because they are both going to become very lonely, do I stay at home for the sake of my parents or move away and start my own life ? I don’t want to go to university and spend every hour feeling guilty. Help ?
You should choose to go to university and live away from home. Your parents love you and want you to be happy so they would be gutted to know that you're posting on here worried about them! I was in almost the same boat as you. I felt my mum needed me so much. I was also worried about leaving home and how it would affect my mother. However, I left home and she managed fine without me. I know she missed me but I used to go home some weekends and was there for most of my vacations too. There comes a time when all parents have to accept that their children will flee the nest and parents want their children to be free, happy and live their own life, whilst still being there for support as and when is required. Go and live your life and be there for your parents but you don't actually need to be constantly at home to be there for them. You can phone or text every day if you so wish. Have you asked your parents how they feel? I am sure they'll tell you the same as me. Have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending