The Student Room Group

Cambridge maths or Imperial maths+computing?

Really torn between the two courses.
I received an offer from a college literally outsiede the town and whose supervision is not impressive, yet studying maths at cambridge is fantastic.
Maths+computing is probably the most competitive course at imperial, and its computing part would improve my career prospect, but the tuition and price level could be a huge burden.

Guys I need your insight :wink:
Any suggestion?
Reply 2
Original post by southpacific

I received an offer from a college literally outsiede the town and whose supervision is not impressive, yet studying maths at cambridge is fantastic.

What are you on about? What do you mean "whose supervision is not impressive"?
Any suggestion?

You're the genius. You figure it out.
Original post by Zacken
What are you on about? What do you mean "whose supervision is not impressive"?

A student there told me their supervisors and dos are not very helpful
Reply 5
A student there told me their supervisors and dos are not very helpful

Ah yes: classic sample size of 1. You will (likely) not have the same DoS as whoever you spoke to. You will not have the same set of supervisors as whoever you spoke to. Supervisions will generally be good throughout Cambridge.
Original post by Zacken
Ah yes: classic sample size of 1. You will (likely) not have the same DoS as whoever you spoke to. You will not have the same set of supervisors as whoever you spoke to. Supervisions will generally be good throughout Cambridge.

Aha I should have made it clear: he is a mathmo at the college I applied to. He seems to have some knowledge about the general situation there. But thanks and I will do more investigation :biggrin:
Reply 7
Aha I should have made it clear: he is a mathmo at the college I applied to. He seems to have some knowledge about the general situation there. But thanks and I will do more investigation :biggrin:

Yes, I assumed that. Doesn't change anything I was saying...

Girton?
Maths+computing is probably the most competitive course at imperial, and its computing part would improve my career prospect, but the tuition and price level could be a huge burden.

Which would you enjoy most? Do you know what career you want to go into?

Cambridge would be hard to decline, IMO. You can still get into computing with a maths degree.

Quick Reply

Latest