Opinions on doing 2 undergrads (biomedical science and biomedical engineering)?

Watch
st1298
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently in my second yr of BSc biomedical sciences (UK uni) and will be graduating next year.

Recently i've been interested in the medical technology/devices and since
technology is the future and could potentially replace us biomedical clinicians (except researchers)... I am considering to pursue another degree in biomedical engineering... (via the route of mechanical engineering)

However this means more 5 years of studying... (including foundation yr)

Is it worth it if my parents are able to financially support me? Should I just continue with a masters in biomedical science ??

Thanks xx
MikeyA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
just interested how come you have to do a foundation if you have a degree in biomedical sciences also can't you post-grad in bio engineering?
st1298
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by MikeyA)
just interested how come you have to do a foundation if you have a degree in biomedical sciences also can't you post-grad in bio engineering?
From what I have researched, in most UK unis, a masters in biomedical engineering usually requires an undergrad background in some type of engineering (e.g. mechanical/electrical)
My biomedical sciences degree does not cover any of these aspects. (e.g. energy/coding/circuits/signals)

Say if I were to study biomedical engineering now, I would have to start from a foundation yr because the course requires a more advanced level of math/physics than I currently have.

Since I took the IB (higher level biology and chemistry), and only standard level math in high school, I don't have the background knowledge that others have.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thread moved to Biology, biochemistry and other life sciences university courses.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by st1298)
I am currently in my second yr of BSc biomedical sciences (UK uni) and will be graduating next year.

Recently i've been interested in the medical technology/devices and since
technology is the future and could potentially replace us biomedical clinicians (except researchers)... I am considering to pursue another degree in biomedical engineering... (via the route of mechanical engineering)

However this means more 5 years of studying... (including foundation yr)

Is it worth it if my parents are able to financially support me? Should I just continue with a masters in biomedical science ??

Thanks xx
It isn't that hard to find biomedical engineering masters courses that require an undergrad in biomedical engineering OR suitable science course. I suggest that route. Considerably less time and costly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (494)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (613)
41.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (300)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.61%

Watched Threads