High 2:2 in maths is the same performance as a mid to low 2:1 in other subjects? Watch

micwhite
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is my understanding correct that more students in maths (and sciences?) are awarded 2:2 than in Arts and other subjects, where the majority receive a 2:1?
I remember having a conversation with a tutor, who suggested one of the things he can do in these cases is to write a letter to employers, who demand a 2:1, to explain that variation.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
rickyrossman
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Classification will only hold you back getting your first job. It won't make any difference throughout the rest of your career.
micwhite
Rep:
?
True. Apparently after 6 months of graduation, there isn’t much difference in employment rates between a 2:1 and a 2:2.
But some people change careers and securing an entry level job in a new profession could mean HR again consider degrees to be more important than work experience.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by micwhite)
Is my understanding correct that more students in maths (and sciences?) are awarded 2:2 than in Arts and other subjects, where the majority receive a 2:1?
I remember having a conversation with a tutor, who suggested one of the things he can do in these cases is to write a letter to employers, who demand a 2:1, to explain that variation.
Do a degree in a subject you enjoy... there's as big a variation in the proportion of 2:1+s by university as there is by subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure about 2:1 Vs 2:2 but I'm pretty sure maths is one of (if not #1) the subjects with the highest portion of people getting a 1st.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think (m)any HR departments would care about a letter from a uni lecturer saying 'this person is just as good as someone else who did a different degree and got a better grade'.
Lily048
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would still affect your application, you can’t just ask an employer to consider you because your degree is in maths therefore exceptions should be made, no one will hear you out.
micwhite
Rep:
?
Well, I’m not sure about that. If variations can be proven to exist, a sensible employer should want to logically apply them in a hiring decision. Indeed, some major, well known employers have scrapped the 2:1 requirement, preferring to assess overall academic achievement and performance in interviews. They’re also accepting the fact that a 2:2 from somewhere like Oxford is just as hard, if not harder to get, than a 2:1 from many places.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Proportion of 2:1 or better per subject (Maths isn't the highest by any means).

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 13.26.42.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  127.1 KB
NB. Medicine and VetMed aren't usually classed as honours.
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-anal...udents-2015-16
micwhite
Rep:
?
Great. That answers my question. Thanks for posting!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great. That answers my question. Thanks for posting!
And by university...

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 14.07.47.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  282.2 KB

Quite a wide range.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Proportion of 2:1 or better per subject (Maths isn't the highest by any means).

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 13.26.42.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  127.1 KB
NB. Medicine and VetMed aren't usually classed as honours.
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-anal...udents-2015-16
And by university...

Quite a wide range.
I love your stats :love: They just make me so happy!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
I love your stats :love: They just make me so happy!
:hat2:

(Especially when they contradict a myth... )
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:hat2:

(Especially when they contradict a myth... )
I just like stats in general, they don't even need to have a purpose
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And by university...

Quite a wide range.
Some really interesting stats there. Don't know what to take from them really. With Oxford in 3rd place and Imperial and Cambridge in 36th and 38th place respectively (about 10% difference) I have to wonder why? Is it the teaching, is it the calibre of students, is it the courses are easier, is it the subjects offered and so on. Could be none of that or could be all of that.

I did expect to see more than 26% had firsts at Cambridge though.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nutz99)
Some really interesting stats there. Don't know what to take from them really. With Oxford in 3rd place and Imperial and Cambridge in 36th and 38th place respectively (about 10% difference) I have to wonder why? Is it the teaching, is it the calibre of students, is it the courses are easier, is it the subjects offered and so on. Could be none of that or could be all of that.

I did expect to see more than 26% had firsts at Cambridge though.
If you want a First go to Surrey

Nah, it's more complicated than the headline figures...
EvoBoost4Days
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need a 2:1 classification to join certain accounting bodies. So it would definitely hold you back in that area. Your ability to gain a graduate scheme position will also be severely affected as well, due to the fact that 90% of grads scheme have a 2:1 degree classification requirement in place.
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want a First go to Surrey

Nah, it's more complicated than the headline figures...
Maths at Surrey may be a good combination, statistically speaking
micwhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by EvoBoost4Days)
You need a 2:1 classification to join certain accounting bodies. So it would definitely hold you back in that area. Your ability to gain a graduate scheme position will also be severely affected as well, due to the fact that 90% of grads scheme have a 2:1 degree classification requirement in place.
The main UK accounting bodies place no requirement on a degree classification. Indeed, they accept school leavers onto their professional qualifications. With regard to the "fact" that 90% of graduate schemes require a 2:1, I don't believe that. When looking at accounting for example, you can get into at least one of the Big 4 with a 2:2 these days.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nutz99)
Maths at Surrey may be a good combination, statistically speaking
Statistically 52.63% (with 42% making do with a 2.1)
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/stud...eturnTo/Search
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%