Statistic Poisson distribution question. Watch

Tormund
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Each of ten test tubes containing nutrient material is inoculated with 1cc of liquid containing an average of 3 bacteria per CC. Under reasonable assumptions, which should be stated calculate the probability that exactly 7 of the 10 contain at least one bacterium.

How do I set this up? I’ve found the probability of them containing more than or equal to one which was:
X~Po(3)
P(X>=1) = 1 - P( X=<0)
= 1 - 0.04979
= 0.9502
Do I finish this off by doing

10C7 * (0.9502)^7 * (1-0.9502)^3
Or is this wrong? I definitely feel like there’s something missing or I’m doing something completely wrong, thanks.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tormund)
Each of ten test tubes containing nutrient material is inoculated with 1cc of liquid containing an average of 3 bacteria per CC. Under reasonable assumptions, which should be stated calculate the probability that exactly 7 of the 10 contain at least one bacterium.

How do I set this up? I’ve found the probability of them containing more jab or equal to one which was:
X~Po(3)
P(X>=1) = 1 - P( X=<0)
= 1 - 0.04979
= 0.9502

Or is this wrong? I definitely feel like there’s something missing or I’m doing something completely wrong, thanks.
Seems OK to me.
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago

How do I set this up? I’ve found the probability of them containing more jab or equal to one which was:
X~Po(3)
P(X>=1) = 1 - P( X=<0)
= 1 - 0.04979
= 0.9502

Looks fine to me. Be sure to state your assumptions explicitly.
Tormund
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rinsed)
Looks fine to me. Be sure to state your assumptions explicitly.
I’m not sure what to put as an assumption really, can you give me a little insight? Thanks for your help
Tormund
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Seems OK to me.
I’m a bit unsure what to put as the assumption though. :/
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
I’m not sure what to put as an assumption really, can you give me a little insight? Thanks for your help
You've been given an average, what assumption allows you to model it as a Poisson distribution? What assumption allows you to do the second part of the calculation?

Think about things like independence.
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How do I set this up? I’ve found the probability of them containing more than or equal to one which was:
X~Po(3)
P(X>=1) = 1 - P( X=<0)
= 1 - 0.04979
= 0.9502

Adding to what others have said, you should really define what X is and also define a second random variable and state what the distribution is for this RV. Also explain what the assumptions must be to model these random variables using Poisson and Binomial distributions respectively. Your notes/textbook should give you the conditions required for this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads